Lube it up....

GarethHunt
GarethHunt Posts: 21
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
How often does everyone lube their chains? After dry or wet rides?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Everyday is just a bit much for me. Maybe every 100 or so miles. While modern day 10 speed chains need a fair share of attention, I'm always reminded, by the two kids next door, that a bicycle chain will stand up to years of abuse, wet weather, dirt, gravel, no oil, and neglect. Granted not quite the same thing, but I simply refuse to get too anal about it.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Every time I wash mine - which would be every couple of rides.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    I give it a quick wipe after every ride and only relube after 80 - 100 miles or so. If the bike is dirty enough to warrent washing, then I'll clean the chain and relube at that point too as it only adds an extra few minutes and gets rid of any water from the washing. Everyone seems to have their own rountine though.

I use Rock and Roll Extreme, which is excellent for keeping the chain clean and lubed, without resorting to washing.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I normally just take advantage when I have 10 mins and the Mrs has nipped out.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I normally just take advantage when I have 10 mins and the Mrs has nipped out.

Yes but what about your chain?
  • kampernaut
    kampernaut Posts: 27
    I follow Zinn's advice by wiping the chain clean and lubing it after every ride so that it is ready for next time. Only takes five minutes and saves time by not having to clean the chain more intensively very often.
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    Did mine last night..

I lube my chain every time I wash my bike...

So wash my bike and de-grease it all etc with Fenwicks, then i have a lube in a can i spray on the chain which pushes the water and dirt out of the chain, then dry the chain with a rag, then apply a dry teflon lube to the chain
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    After every ride I'll clean the chain down with WD40 then wipe clean with a rag, then I'll coat with 3 in 1 and wipe off the excess.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    denniskwok wrote:
    I give it a quick wipe after every ride and only relube after 80 - 100 miles or so.
    I can't be bothered to stop and lube midride.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem