Helmet Cams?

steviemidnight
steviemidnight Posts: 51
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm moving and will be doing a 20+ mile commute that i wish to film for safety reasons.

I've been doing 10-20 mile round trip commutes for 3yrs in central London and had a good few near misses and few accidents. After a m8 was hurt i think i need a camera just as backup really

Any recommendation?
My current thoughts are 808 keyring camera with modified battery

Note I have a contourHD but they are a little large for daily commuting.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm moving and will be doing a 20+ mile commute that i wish to film for safety reasons.

I've been doing 10-20 mile round trip commutes for 3yrs in central London and had a good few near misses and few accidents. After a m8 was hurt i think i need a camera just as backup really

Any recommendation?
    My current thoughts are 808 keyring camera with modified battery

mine isn't.... it's strapped to the side of my helmet and is fine there
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Don't you have any problems with chafing?
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    kelsen wrote:

You owe me a cup of tea and a new keyboard.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Kieran_Burns
    kelsen wrote:

It could be better in low light conditions though
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    There's no point in filming for safety reasons. A camera won't soften your fall.

Before my accident (see avatar) I'd got to the stage of videoing the odd commute. I can't say that I was enjoying cycling to work by that stage. Now, I'm far more fearful (but to be honest riding about the same) but I don't even have a computer on the bike any more and I wouldn't dream of having a camera. I'd rather focus on trying to enjoy at least being able to ride. I'm not sure that downloading and watching a string of injustices each day would help.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I don't cam my commutes because it'd make me more likely to harass the innocent motorists that I inconvenience enough by simply being on their roads.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    I don't cam my commutes because it'd make me more likely to harass the innocent motorists that I inconvenience enough by simply being I am the road.
    I think you should cut down a bit. One glass of wine at dinner becomes two.....and before you know it, you can't type.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I don't cam my commutes because it'd make me more likely to harass the innocent motorists that I inconvenience enough by simply being I am the road.
    I think you should cut down a bit. One glass of wine at dinner becomes two.....and before you know it, you can't type.
    Stoopid auto correct on the I am droit. And damn you for getting in before I editted it!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Stoopid auto correct on the I am droit. And damn you for getting in before I editted it!

I'll hold to this one as well then :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I was going to ask te other half for a camera for Xmas. When I raised the subject she said "No, you are already an arse and I don't want you to be a complete twat".

She looks out for me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

The additional 130g of ContourHD on my helmet took a week to get used to but now don't notice it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I used an 808 for a while. Picture quality is good, but not sure if night time quality is usable TBH. Yeah, definitely sort out the battery and get a 32GB card for it so you're not constantly worrying about filling it up. They're very light though, and very cheap, so you can't go wrong really.

My one ran out of space 30 seconds before the one time I needed it when a WVM ran me off the road, got out of his van and assaulted me (because, despite me keeping up with the speed of traffic, and approaching a red light, he didn't like me taking primary position in a single carriage way one way street). Typical. Police did nothing BTW - despite there being witnesses.

I don't bother with a camera now. Next time that happens I'm D-locking the *$%! and I don't want that on film.
  • lol some funny replys

your right though not much point in a helmet cam really. its just my current thoughts done 3-4 years commuting with out it and its just another thing to hurt yourself on if you fall.

i may get a 808#16v2 for fun
  • Kieran_Burns
    lol some funny replys

your right though not much point in a helmet cam really. its just my current thoughts done 3-4 years commuting with out it and its just another thing to hurt yourself on if you fall.

i may get a 808#16v2 for fun

I did break mine on my one and only tumble :? but I have mine to record the daft stuff. Catching the odd idiot is an 'extra'.

I think tonights vid in the howling gales is going to be fun. It very much looks like the trees (BIG trees) are leaning from the NE now.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X