Advice on the Whyte Portobello

phuqertrfc
phuqertrfc Posts: 10
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
I'm after some advice on the Whyte Portobello, if anyone could be so kind.

I'm fairly new to commuting to work by bike.
We had our first child 9 months ago and my wife started needing access to the car during the day, so I decided to start cycling into work.
About 3 months ago I lent a Scott hybrid off my mate and started cycling the 16 miles into work and the 16 miles back home.
The first time I did it was the first time I'd been on a bike in 3 years, but I managed it and have been really enjoying it since.

My bike4work voucher is due to be sent out tomorrow, so I have been looking at bikes to get.
The Whyte Portobello caught my eye, admittedly based on looks alone initially, but I was advised by the guy in the shop that it would be perfect for my route and would help me increase my speed and reduce my commute time.

I have been reading up on various forums and the advice around the Portobello seems to be inconsistent.

My route is 60% road (some quite rough), 30% country lanes, 10% trans penine trail.

Is the Portobello suitable for this route?
The penine trail is fairly smooth for a trail (or at least it seems that way on the Scott).
The country lanes are proper road, but are quite rough in places.
The roads are typical roads, but there is one road which is quite rough (about 1 mile).

My concerns are the lack of suspension. The Scott has front suspension but I have it locked permanently so do I even need suspension?
I have also read that without suspension and 28 tyres, the ride will feel quite rough and this concerns me because the ride already feels rough in places on the scott with 32 nobbly tyres.

Does anyone have any experience of the Portobello or similar bikes, that can advise if it is suitable for a 32mile round trip on roads and smooth trails?

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    If you like Whyte styling and fit, have a look at the Whyte Malvern. I adore mine.

Has lockout front suspension and 700x35c tyres - handles basic off-roading marvellously but is still plenty nippy enough on-road. It's more suited to farm trails and other bumpy bits than the Portobello, although the Portobello would be slightly faster on-road.

I did a 60 mile charity ride on road on Sunday on my Malvern, with a friend who has a road bike. I managed to average just shy of 15mph and he said he would have been aiming for about 18mph if he'd been on his own, so I didn't slow him down too massively. When I hit my top gear, he only had a few more to go.

On the other hand, if you never use your current suspension and are happy without it, don't bother getting a bike with it. As far as I know, a bike without suspension won't feel any bumpier than one with its suspension locked out?

Now that I'm fitter and the ride to work is a breeze, I've gone back to using my suspension when I commute as it makes our lovely pot-holed roads a bit less bone-rattling. :)

Whyte are British - always good to support a British company. :D