Which Lid?...

PaulSanderson
PaulSanderson Posts: 13
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys and Girls,

Im looking to get a new lid and the shortlist is between a Fox Flux, SixSixOne Recon or the Giro Xen. Problem is I have a small bonce (57cm) and a load of lids just look stupidly big on me, even if they fit well.

Question is does anyone know which is the slimmest looking fit? I live in the middle of nowhere in rural north norfolk (flat i know!) and there arent many stockists for me to just go and try them on, so its a case of ordering one and if its a crap fit then sending it back.

Any adice would be a great help...

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I find the Abus Aduro looks quite small and low profile.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Who cares? It's a helmet and you can't see it!! Get the one which fits best and be secure in the knowledge that it will do the best that it can should you need it in a crash!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I wouldn't consider 57cm as particularly small either.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • bolingbroke
    bolingbroke Posts: 32
    If you want a slim fitting helmet get a road based Giro one. The only difference is they don't have peaks, which if you are like me you wont miss.
  • ncn
    ncn Posts: 123
    I have no idea on slim looking but I have a 56cm head and have just bought the 661 recon wired in S/M and it fits lovely with lots of space to make it bigger for if I want to wear a beany under it to keep me warm as well. It feels and looks really good quality as well so I am really pleased with it.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Specialized S3 awesome lid roady ish but comes with a clip on peak and really small looking but not cheap £100 :(
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    MET Kaos UL from OnOne?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i have a fox flux helmet and it fits nicely with the adjustment clips at the back.

i wonder would a road helmet offer less protection than a trail/xc helmet, if you came off the bike and hit say a tree branch etc ?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    swod1 wrote:
    i wonder would a road helmet offer less protection than a trail/xc helmet, if you came off the bike and hit say a tree branch etc ?

Only if you hit it with a part of your head that wasn't covered (off road helmets generally have more rear head coverage). Road helmets are designed to protect you against smacking your head on tarmac which (having hit it a fair few times myself) I can vouch is pretty hard stuff.
  • guandax
    guandax Posts: 44
    Had a flux which was great and helped my head survive a crash that my collar bone didn't. A little bit heavier than the Striker I now have. Striker's great but adjuster at the back can snag on collars due to square edge.

Alan
    Canyon Spectral 7.0ex 2015
    Giant Trance X3 2011 (retired but not sold!)
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    bell volt
    I have a pea head and this just about looks okay (in a dark colour..)
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I have a Giro Hex and can't recommend it enough. Tried so many and this was the most comfortable.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.