What wheels for bigger guys?

iDad
iDad Posts: 68
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I’m currently riding a Spesh 2007 FSR XC, I know the components aren’t that spectacular on the bike but they work fine and it does me for now.

I ride mostly XC with some trail centres thrown in for a bit more excitement. A recent visit to the trail put a 5-6mm buckle in the rear wheel over a distance of 3-4spokes and snapped one spoke. I had it repaired at the LBS but I’ve had issues with it snapping both at the same point/same amount of buckle.

At 6”2 and 16.5st I’m a generous sized guy so I’m thinking the current Alex Rims are just too week for me, the spokes have always looked flimsy too me.
I’ve decided enough’s enough and I’ve started looking at options for a stronger wheel set.

I’ve been offered a rear DT Swiss EX500 on 240 hub for £60 from a mate who’s just upgrading to some new wheels. Would that wheel be a strong enough wheel for a guy of my size?

I’ve seen a few posts mentioning the likes of Stans Flow or Arch’s for strong rims…..what others would be worth considering.

As always money and partners have to be considered so I’m thinking sub £300 is about what I’d be daring to spend.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Those EX are ok.

Stans Flows or Mavic EN521 are rims that are well worth considering (from personal experience - I am 6'4" and 95-100kg depending on fatness or fitness). Mine are on Hope hubs. Mavics are cheaper, go tubeless fine with a rim strip and sealant. Stans don't need the rim strip, are more expensive. Similar weights.

Also worth just asking Superstar what they'd recommend from their ranges. I currently ride a set of their XCX 29 wheels on the Inbred 29 and they've been superb. I'd imagine their AM range would be perfect for you. Good value as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I'm a big lad (17.5st) and have wrecked a few sets of cheep wheels. Currently running Flows on one bike and Mavic XM719's on the other. Both would do the job for you but out of the 2, I prefer the flow for the extra width, it gives bigger tyres a better profile and makes them less likely to roll on the rims. For £300 you should be able to pick up a set of hope hoops with flow rims, alternatively Superstar do Flow rims on their own Switch hubs for £200.

Don't get too worried about the look of the spokes, a good quality double butted spoke such as a DT comp or Sapim race will build up into a stronger wheel then a plain gauge spoke as they flex a bit more than plain gauge under impact.

The DT wheel off your mate should also be up to the job, DT rims do have a reputation for bending easily though so give it a good check over before parting with your cash.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The Mavic EN521 gives you the extra width that the other poster is talking about.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • iDad
    iDad Posts: 68
    Thanks for the replies and info guys.

My mate has brought the DT wheel in to work with him, it looks a dam site stronger than the one I’ve currently got on and the bearings are way smoother running. A couple of scratches but then its gonna get a hell of a lot more in the next few rides with me lol.

I’m gonna have this one off him and give it a whirl…..gonna keep my eyes open for one for the front and look at saving up a few quid up to get some Hoops with Flows later in the year of for when I wreck this one 