Tools in Saddle Bag... Do I have everything I need?

nanas1
nanas1 Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I've recently started going out on the road for 25-30 mile runs and have what I think I need in case of any breakdowns, but wondered if there was anything that I was missing? I am looking at extending my range over the next month or so to 40-50 miles runs and then progress even further after that.
This is currently what i carry

2 x Inner Tubes
2 x Tyre Levers
1 x Glueless Puncture Kit
1 x Crank Brothers ToolKit

Comments

• I carry that plus the following
    Small Pump
    2 more Tyre Levers incase I break one or more so four in total.
    spare KNC missing link
    sometimes carry a spare hanger

I have an Topeak alien with chain splitter

other items
    Money/cards
    Mobile
    Food & drink
    :wink:
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    A tyre boot is also useful in case you get a slash or big hole in your tyre.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Looks very similar to mine - except I think my tyre leavers came in a pack of three (these are Tacx, but I've used Park Tools to good effect - lost them when I set off with the bag open... :oops: ) and I also carry a regular glued puncture repair kit with at least one missing link in the box, having had a very frustrating day out in Hampshire where none of the glueless patches stayed put. May have been me not leaving them quite long enough to stick, but ultimately, I lost confidence in them and haven't used them since. (Many others swear by them though, so each to their own!)

You have got a pump somewhere, haven't you?!?! :-P

Everything else goes in my back pockets.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I take a proper chain tool, the multi tool one I had broke on it's first use, I'd not trust another one.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    spare tube,tyre levers,boot,spare link,multi tool,glueless repair kit, tie wraps and after I got sun burned after a 4 hr ride on Tues a small tube of sun lotion.
  • Octopus1
    Octopus1 Posts: 56
    I did the London Revolution last weekend, 190 mile and carried the following:

2 x tube
    2 x Co2 Cartridges
    1 x Co2 inflator
    1 x patch kit
    1 x latex gloves
    1 x multi tool
    1 x spare link
    1 x chap stick
    1 x business card (tyre boot)

All in a lezyne caddy sack in middle pocket of jersey plus a small mini pump.

Other bits - card/cash/phone/keys in a small pouch in the right hand pocket with some food
    Waterproof/gillet/armwarmers as appropriate in the left hand pocket.
    Road ID with contact details on the right wrist.

If I needed extra space (to carry a thicker wind/waterproof) then I have a small saddle bag I can attach.

Sun lotion is a good call.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,574
    A couple of small zip ties, it's amazing what can be fixed with a zip tie and a bit of imagination.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    2 x tubes
    3 x CO2 bombs + valve
    3 x tyre levers

In the back pocket the usual triumvirate of keys, phone & cash. For longer journeys up to ~100 miles add a bit more cash & some snack bars, couple of Nuun tabs and a sachet or two of energy powder.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Octopus1 wrote:
    1 x chap stick

Why??
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Gaffa tape wrapped round one of the tyre levers (or anything else you carry). Can be used to make a tyre boot, or fix mudguards or fix lots of other things (including you in same cases!).
  • Octopus1
    Octopus1 Posts: 56
    I get sore lips sometimes from wind :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    natrix wrote:
    Octopus1 wrote:
    1 x chap stick

Why??

Stop your lips drying out and cracking?
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    monkimark wrote:
    A couple of small zip ties, it's amazing what can be fixed with a zip tie and a bit of imagination.
    +1
    and +1 for gaffer tape, I've some stuck to my puncture repair box. Stays sticky for ages.

I remember a great section of richard ballantines bike book regarding on the road repairs. Including using a suitably sized branch to replace a broken handlebar (pushed into the good half) filling the tires with grass (only lasts so long, and makes a mess).

If you're away from civilization then a leatherman type tool with pliers and hammer and a basic first aid kit/ ibuprofen are useful. A small container of oil too.

Pliers and hammer not required for a spin on a carbon road bike though:-)

I also carry a spoke key, as a broken spoke may cause the wheel to hit the chainstays on tight clearance race bikes, especially if you have low spoke count wheels.
  • nanas1
    nanas1 Posts: 50
    Cheers for all the tips gents, I will now proceed with a little bit of Repair kit shopping etc.
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    I've got:
    1x multi tool
    2x tubes
    2x CO2 cartridges
    1x CO2 inflator
    1x mini pump
    2x tyre levels

I used to used to take just the one tube and a puncture repair kit, but I realised the second tube used up less space than the repair kit!
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    this is a good thread as am just starting out and wanted to know what to take on rides and where to keep it all on the bike thanks
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    In my saddlebag...

1x spare tube
    1x PRK
    3x tyre levers
    1x Topeak Alien 2
    keys & bank card; I keep my phone in the rear pocket of my jersey
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Octopus1 wrote:

I thought that as it was in with the tools maybe it could be used as a waxy chain lube............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    natrix wrote:
    Octopus1 wrote:

I thought that as it was in with the tools maybe it could be used as a waxy chain lube............

it probably could. sun cream would work at a push too.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I carry,

Tube
    Patch Kit
    Multitool
    Pump
    Phone etc.

Everything fits into pockets, I found saddlebags unreliable and they spoil the line....

The patch kit is http://www.airbone.com.tw/ZT610Product.htm very cheap, very compact, includes a tyre boot.

The tyres come off easily enough without levers, so that's one less thing to be carrying.

Paul
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    i carry

1x tube
    2xco2 canisters
    1x co2 inflator
    1x toppeak tool
    1x tyer lever (2 on topeak tool to)
    1x spare link

it all fits in my back pockets with phone money and keys. i use to have saddle bags but hated the look off them on the bikes. on long rides 100 milers i sometimes take this to make room for food in pockets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Continental-Road-Bike-Saddle-Bag-seatpack-700c-Inner-Tube-Tyre-Tire-Levers-/320994202423
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    i carry

1x tube
    2xco2 canisters
    1x co2 inflator
    1x toppeak tool
    1x tyer lever (2 on topeak tool to)
    1x spare link

it all fits in my back pockets with phone money and keys. i use to have saddle bags but hated the look off them on the bikes. on long rides 100 milers i sometimes take this to make room for food in pockets

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Continental-Road-Bike-Saddle-Bag-seatpack-700c-Inner-Tube-Tyre-Tire-Levers-/320994202423