Replacing a spoke for the first time

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,314
edited June 2013 in The workshop
Hi Guys. I've trued a wheel a couple of times in the past, but never replaced a spoke entirely. I'm sure the scary task is actually not that bad, it's just one of the few things I am yet to attempt.

The wheels are Planet X A57's.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXA57NL/planet_x_a57_new_logo_wheelset

The spoke is a rear non drive side, happily.

The wheel is still almost perfectly true which is nice. Has a decent spoke count.

Could anyone tell me what spoke I need to buy? And if there is any tool other than a spoke key that I need?
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I have to admit, I usually prefer to completely slacken a wheel when replacing a spoke. Gives me an opportunity to expose the working threads and give them a dollop of fresh oil.

You'll need to measure the diameter and length of the spokes to know what to buy, so the easiest way to do that is to whip another spoke out on the same side. Check the spoke to see if it's double or triple butted; this is most easily done with a micrometer or vernier caliper.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just use the spoke you have, masure up and go and get a like for like replacement, fit (you may need to rmove the cassette, you may not, I don't like bending the spoke any more than necesary to fit it) and ttighten it, if the wheel was true before, then getting it to tension you'll find the wheel true again!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Looking at the wheels, roughly speaking your spokes should be a 293-295 mm for rear NDS. Always difficult to buy one single spoke... If you can wait until next week, I can replace it for you... I live in Richmond, I have lots of spare spokes around that size.
    I am away this BH weekend.
    left the forum March 2023
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    If you pop into sigma sport and show them the broken spoke they will happily sell you a brand new spoke that matches. At least that has been my experience.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never had an issue buying 1 spoke.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think a very good investment is a good spoke key.

I have an excellent one made by DT Swiss which I bought some years ago, it cost a lot of money, but it was well worth it.

A good spoke key grips the nipple on all four corners, it works like a ring spanner, but it has a slot in one side, and so to use you sort of slot it onto the spoke, then slide it to the nipple.

A good spoke key has very hard metal where it contacts the nipple.

And thirdly, a good spoke key has a very close tolerance, so that it will fit very snuggly onto the nipple.