Pleased

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Managed to put two new 700x23 tyres on my bike and it only took me 1 1/4 hours. Only one pinch puncture too (although by the sounds of the pops when I pumped the tyres the other two tubes were pretty close to being pinch punctured too). And only threw my toys out of the pram about 5 times during the process.

Given this is the first time I've changed a tyre since I was a teenager, and I'm now 42... I was going to say I now know how to do it, but that doesn't matter as next time I may take them to the bike shop. It will take less time, will cost less than pinch puncturing tubes and it will not take a year off my life in stress and frustration of trying to get a flat tyre straight from a box and a tube into an inordinately small gap in the rim. lol!

IMG_1401.jpg

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Well done! Some tyres are an absolute nightmare to fit. I've got some Campag wheels on my commuter at the moment and I dread getting a puncture a getting the tyre back on afterwards is a nightmare... I've snapped so many tyre levers...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • joelsim
    You're not kidding. I've got Weinemann dp18 rims which are really narrow, and the tyres didn't want to go in the groove at all and kept springing flat, the tubes kept popping out. Tantrums galore! Aaaagh
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    After a similar stretch without fitting tyres, I was really struggling, till I remembered something my Dad told me.... Fairy Liquid! About 50/50 mixed with water and rubbed over the edges of the Tyre to lubricate it as it slides on.

Works for me! :)

Andy
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Nice tyres, what are they? I'm after something similarly skinny with red sidewalls.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    I've got Vittoria Rubino Pro 23s on my road bike. These look similar and mine are red too.
  • joelsim
    Yep, got it in one, Rubino Pros. About £36 for the pair
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Found them to be a nightmare to mount on Campag wheels, but once they had stretched a bit, they became easier.

Lots of punctures initially too until they had 'matured' a bit. Like the range of colours they come in - black, blue, white, red, orange, yellow, lime and honey. Must be something to suit everyone there :D