Boxxer vs Totem vs Domain

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Morning all

My Scott Voltage has a pair of dual-crown Domain RCs. For what I do (which is probably best described as recreational downhill) they work OK. They are stiff stiff STIFF which gives me loads of confidence and on short stretches of gnar they cope quite well but on more sustained sections they loose their composure and generally get out of shape. They are also The Heaviest Forks In The World which makes the front end dive when airborne.

Sooooooooooo....

...in order to lose a bit of weight and get a better suspension action I'm thinking about swapping them for some Boxxers or Totems. Top priority is stiffness and the Boxxers would seem to be the logical choice although to make a significant weight saving they would probably have to be World Cup Solo Airs which are ££££££££££££££££££££££££££. The other option is some cheaper Solo Air Totem RC2 DHs which would save 1kg but I'm unsure how stiff a single crown fork is going to be compared to the burly Domains.

Any info from people who've used these forks is appreciated cheers

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've not had any real time on any of these forks, odd little play. I do know the Domain's are really really heavy though, felt how heavy they were right out of the box in the shop. With that in mind I can't really be any help except to say you really shouldn't have any problems with the Totem, 40mm stanchions and a 20mm axle isn't exactly going to make anything other than a super stiff fork.

One thing to check for though is clearance. Not all DH frames can take a single crown fork without it hitting the downtube.
  • Have you serviced the domain recently?

Mine was a bit crap so I gave it a service, now its great again. And they are soooo easy to service!

I've not used the dual crowns, but the only fork I'd swap mine for would be Totems with mission control..
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Depends what you mean by "significant weight saving" I guess

Just swapping to a set of Boxxer RC's would shed nearly 600g
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8