Unsupported Geneva to Nice

matthewbeattie
matthewbeattie Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone,

I'm 22, and after weeks of exams and stress have organised to cycle a route from Geneva to Nice over 9 days (450 miles, and lots of ascent/descent over the Alps) to do with 2 other friends.

I have found a route online which I intend to do but with two differences - it will be unsupported, and I will be camping.

In terms of experience I have rather mimimal - only one similar cycle from Nottingham to Paris (but this was supported) - although consider myself to be strong and relatively fit. I love cycling and love the outdoors, and I'm experienced and sensible with decision making and safety.

With regards to bike and equipment I will be buying one in Decathlon outside Geneva, and all the necessary add-ons (panniers, perhaps clipin and shoes, lights, spare tubes).

My question is:

I'm I being incredibly arrogant, stupid, and overly ambitious?

And... any tips / musts do's?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Should be a great trip, with fantastic views and glorious mountains. Nine days to do 450 miles carrying camping gear over the Alps is doable for a fit young man but doesn't give much leeway for shorter days in the saddle, breakdowns or bad weather.

There's plenty of campsites so you shouldn't need to book in advance. www.camping-municipal.org is a good website to find council-run sites which are generally good value and have good facilities. There's plenty of good privately run sites as well including small and basic camping a la ferme sites.

Try to travel light as you are lugging that weight up some really long and steep climbs. Make sure you have low gears - a triple or at the very least a compact with a wide range cassette.

Try to get to campsites not much later than 4pm as that will give you time to put up tent, wash and dry your shorts and have some recovery time. You can always strap your damp shorts on the pannier tops to dry out during the day.

The trick to riding up a long mountain pass with camping gear is to spin easily in a low gear while remaining seated on the saddle, just getting up to honk on the steepest bits. I find two big passes in a day is not too hard, while I know I've had a tough ride if I do three passes in a day. Take two bottles of water, refill them when you can and keep hydrated. Keep energy levels up with things like fresh and dried fruit, nuts and a baguette with a bit of cheese or ham.

Nothing in the UK will give you training terrain similar to the Alps. So my advice is to build up a reasonable level of fitness, spin easily up those passes and don't try to race. And exercise caution on the descents. You build up speed very quickly and it can be tricky to slow down a heavily laden bike before you hit a hairpin bend. Watch out for loose gravel, pot holes and rocks on the road on those descents, particularly under the dappled shadows of trees.

Have a fantastic time.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I'm doing the same ride next month and taking 14 days. However, we do usually have a couple of days where we stop in one place. When you go makes a big difference. Today's stage of the Giro was cancelled as it was heavy snow and -20 on top of some of the mountains. Hopefully in a few weeks this will have cleared but planning an alternative route around a mountain just in case a pass is closed is a good idea. In June we have only once had any trouble finding a campsite in ten years, July and August gets busier.

As per the previous poster don't take too much stuff, something to wear and the stuff you just worn that's drying. If you are going with someone else make sure you done two of the same thing such as chain splitter or allen keys. Pace yourself on the climbs with low gears (my bottom gear is a 22t chain ring and 28t sprocket) and smooth pedalling. If a climb is 12 miles long it may take well in excess of two hours to climb. This may seem slow but I've overtaken many riders on unlaiden carbon bikes on the Tourmalet, Galibier and Ventoux who were over-geared and had ridden the bottom part of the climb to fast.

Not sure if I understand you correctly but I would not buy a new shoe and pedal system and then ride from Geneva to Nice in them without having tried them for a few weeks. One day in and you could find the shoes rub and the pedals/cleats give you knee problems.
  • Thanks for the great replies and advice. I thought I'd update you on my plans. f

After 2 very long days of planning I think I'm about there. I depart for Geneva on Tuesday!

Late on in my planning I discovered the route included quite a few 'cols' / mountain passes. Checking online some of these are currently closed, and not forecast to open until the week I am there but of course it depends on the weather that day. And as you've said, it has been snowing recently (as my brother who lives in Geneva told me today). All in all not worth the risk of getting stuck in the Alps.

Therefore, that combined with the difficult (hors categorie) natures of some of the climbs, and my relative inexperience (and fitness), and lack of preparedness I've decided to change the route to avoid the Alps. Again, I've found a suggestion online.

This will be Geneva - Annecy - Grenoble - Sisteron - Nice. Shorter, flatter and safer allowing plenty of leeway for rest days (and hiccups along the way).

In you experience, what is Nice and the south Coast like? We are due to fly out from Nice airport on day 17, so would be quite open to any suggestions of anywhere else to visit along the South Coast near Nice?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Looks a lovely route. It will still be hilly but you will avoid the very high passes, and it will still be beautiful riding. If I was following that general route I would seriously consider a detour up the Ventoux just because it's such a special place. You might also consider cutting into the Gorges du Verdon - its a climb but it is also an extraordinary ride - I think you would struggle to beat it fro dramatic scenery. You could then cut down towards Nice and the Maritime Alps which have some lovely quiet roads and tend not to be so steep or long as the main Alpine passes. Sorry cannot be much help on the coastal route but I am sure someone will be along to fill the gaps.

Have a fantastic time.
    Paul
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Agree with the Ventoux suggestion! Its a special place!

Might be nice to get a pass or two in anyway, as I would be optimistic the weather will be ok for you some days.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I agree with taking in the Gorges du Verdon - really spectacular and great riding on either side. The Med coast around Nice is built up and busy and not great fun on a bike. But only 20 miles or so north of Nice and close to Verdon is some of my favourite riding country - between Vence, Roquesteron and St Auban. Quiet roads, beautiful scenery and some easily doable passes. From Vence it's an easy, quick descent into the heart of Nice.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Mt.Ventoux DEFINITELY worth a detour, we were up there two weeks ago,
    rode it W-E (Malaucene-Sault) and the conditions were perfect; 20degC at the bottom at 09.00,
    14degC at the top at 11.00, also they are resurfacing the Eastern slope (ready for the TdF), so the surface is perfect.
    We went through the Gorges du Verdon, the next day, this way... http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=534138 into NIce through Cagnes-sur-Mer, then East past the airport and along
    the Promenade des Anglais.
    Nice is a lovely place, slightly pricey, but loads to see and do...nice easy spin Eastwards will take you
    through Villefranche and St.Jean Cap-Ferrat and on to Monaco and Monte Carlo (if that floats your boat).
    Also heard good things about Menton and Ventimiglia (just over the border into Italy).

Bon voyage...
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Cool trip Matt!
    Mercia Man wrote:
    The Med coast around Nice is built up and busy and not great fun on a bike.
    I disagree - just been there for a week and some of the roads behind Nice are great for cycling: the road from Peille over the Col de la Madone to Menton; the high coastal road from Nice to La Turbie and from La Turbie down to Cap d'Ail; the Col de Castillon from Menton. Further inland the Col de Turini, col de Couillole, Madonde d'Utelle and Gorges du Cians are very scenic too.
    Enjoy your trip