What size 29er?

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
What size should I get?

I normally ride a Giant XTC Medium which seems to be about 18".

Should I get a similar size or smaller because of huge wheels?

ps:

Probably this:
http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3006

Comments

• bernie1973
    bernie1973 Posts: 86
    Have you tried the PPS - "Perfect Positioning System" - on the Canyon website? You put all your vital stats in and it comes up with a recommended frame size for you, specific to the bike you want I believe. Probably a pretty good starting point.
  • geomickb
    Yes, and it says I want a small which confuses me. I have always had Mediums. The PPS is confusing as well because it doesnt tell you where to measure from, when I put in my "Inseam" it says that there is an error. Inseam is just inside leg isnt it??

Effective top tube seems the same as my Giant (on the M) so I think I will be getting a medium, just wondered if anyone could offer any advice.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    PPS suggested small for me, but I emailed them and Canyon agreed a medium made sense.

Try mailing them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the model! Sizes don't equate between brands, types and models.
  • geomickb
    Yes, I agree I should try one for size, but If i get a Canyon I cant do this and I am confused by the size they suggest (s not m).
  • geomickb
    Found the video on the Canyon site (https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2) which explains their measurements. I will try again tonight.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most people say I should be on a medium, but I ride a small (Carerra), then I did the Canyon on a similar bike it came up with the same small size and the geo of the frame was very close to my current one.

That said if you like a bigger bike, you like a bigger bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.