Alpine Sportive Tyre Pressure

cush123
cush123 Posts: 75
Hi

Heading to the Alps next month for the Morzine Sportive. When I was out last year I had a few blow out on hot days that I've put down to over inflation of the tyres and overheating during braking. Do people run at a lower pressure for these type of events? If so, what pressure in the UK and what pressure over there?

Cheers
Cush

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I use my 'normal' pressure so that's between 110 and 115 psi (I weigh +/- 81 kg)

People blowing their tyres need to learn to descend properly and not drag their brakes and then overheating isn't a problem!
  • cush123
    schweiz wrote:
    I use my 'normal' pressure so that's between 110 and 115 psi (I weigh +/- 81 kg)

People blowing their tyres need to learn to descend properly and not drag their brakes and then overheating isn't a problem!

That is most likely to be the issue as I am a bit of a rubbish descender. After a couple of crashes I no longer have the nerve. Looks like I need a bit of practice!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Relax, descend on the drops, stay relaxed, stay off the brakes in the straights, relax, brake for the corner, finish your braking before you lean in, inside pedal up, push down on the outside pedal, use the width of the road, look all the way round the corner (i.e. look where you want to be after the hairpin is finished), relax, repeat!

If you want to scrub speed at any point then pulse your brakes don't drag them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I run my conti gp4000s at 95 psi. Never had a blowout. Or a p....

I did have a blow out on my vredesteins running at 140 psi....
  • lucky paddy
    lucky paddy Posts: 23
    Ive always run at 100 psi in the alps for years without any problems at all.Coming down off the glandon on the marmotte all you can hear are the punctures from people being on the brakes all the time and overheating their rims.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I didn't see or hear any in two Marmottes both on hot days - maybe it's more common at the back end of the field amongst the novices ;)

Seriously unless you are very very cautious on descents it's not a problem - and if you are just follow the advice above.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cush123
    Thanks fir the advice folks. Will have a bit of practice over the next few weeks.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    cougie wrote:
    I run my conti gp4000s at 95 psi. Never had a blowout. Or a p....

I did have a blow out on my vredesteins running at 140 psi....

I would agree with this. if you can't become a master descender in the next few weeks,
    stick to 95 psi.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    I didn't see or hear any in two Marmottes both on hot days - maybe it's more common at the back end of the field amongst the novices ;)

Seriously unless you are very very cautious on descents it's not a problem - and if you are just follow the advice above.

I crashed out on the Marmotte due to over-inflated tyres. And before I did, I heard a lot of tyre popping.
    Sounded a bit like hunting season.
  • Leroy42
    Leroy42 Posts: 78
    My advice would be to run at whatever tyre pressure you use normally.

For a start you will not one less thing to worry about. 2nd, you will be used to the feel of the tyre, the grip etc. 3rd, changing the tyre pressure will not have any significant effect on the performance (95 to 110 for eg) so why bother.

In saying that, the roads around Wicklow are very rough and I normally run 95-100psi and when in France I run +110 as the roads are smoother. All this year I have been running my tyres at 120psi to give me a better fell for this in France.

I think I just argued against myself!!!

Still think I managed to lose :D
    So this little yellow braclet makes me a better cyclist?
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    I typically run mine at 115 psi on a dry day. Slightly less in the wet.

The Glandon descent in the Marmotte is a tyre popping heaven and accident prone spot. I heard 1 blow out and 1 guy go down in front of me - sounded like a small explosion. I guess with the road being rough and narrow, along with many riders going down at same time and tackling tight hairpins, this is bout to happen.