How much to extend/change brake hose?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to weigh up the costs here...

Rear brake hose is too short so will need to be changed for a longer one.

Cost of buying new hose, oil, and cable cutters... £30+ I think.
or
LBS doing the job.

So, any idea how much a LBS would charge or what I should expect to pay?

The other thing is the brake is only a Deore m595, so a whole new brake is only £50....

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    It will cost about £16 total to replace the hose if you are not too fussy about matching brand names - even cheaper if you already have mineral oil and two olives at hand.

The bleed procedure uses the gravity method, so no bleed kits required. The hose can be cut with a stanley blade or a grip-backed razor blade.

The yellow blocks with the v-groove, that Shimano uses to hold the hose securely while the barbed insert is driven in, can be made out of spare blocks of wood. A pair of pliers with the crescent shaped jaws can also be used instead (obviously, protect the hose and don't grip it directly).
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    My shop would charge you about £20 for the job incl parts
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Shimano hose kit off ebay was £17 all in for both, you can get it for less, about £10 ish, you will need the bleed kit as you need the funnel and syringe, not sure where BH is coming from, but then you'll have it for the future, about £20 and you'll have the bleed kit for the future or to sell.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    So, any idea how much a LBS would charge or what I should expect to pay?
    £15 per brake if you supply the olive. 595s the same as yours

Considering it is allegedly an easy job they had two goes at getting the front one sorted