Best 29er FS for around £1500 (or perhaps a little more)

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I recently sold my Canyon Nerve XC 6.0 for £750 as I had two bikes and they weren't getting the use they deserve. I remain with a Canyon Grand Canyon 7.9. However, the £750 is burning a hole in my pocket and my rationale is this:

I should easily be able to sell my Grand Canyon for £750 and this would give me £1500 from the sale of the two bikes. I like a 29er and I miss my FS, so why not sell both bikes and buy one that incorporates both aspects I like - 29er and FS?

As a Canyon fan I like the look of the Nerve AL 7.9 for £1600: http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3035

But I am concerned that, at 12.8kg compared to 11.5kg for my current Grand Canyon, that I am going to feel the increased weight (I'm not the fittest bloke on earth!)

I realise that Canyon offer great VFM but are there any FS 29er's that, perhaps, I should also be considering, that are lighter, or are known to carry their weight particularly well? As I say, £1500 is the budget but I may be able to go a couple of hundred quid over this for the right bike.

Sorry for the ramble, but hope someone can help.

Cheers

S

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    As a Canyon fan I like the look of the Nerve AL 7.9 for £1600: http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3035

But I am concerned that, at 12.8kg compared to 11.5kg for my current Grand Canyon, that I am going to feel the increased weight (I'm not the fittest bloke on earth!)
    well it does have the linkages and shock added to it, sounds pretty good at that price
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • gbbrycem
    gbbrycem Posts: 6
    I bought the Canyon nerve al 9.9 which is arriving next week. :D . I decided on this because of the VFM and the better spec. The other bike I was also considering at the same time was a Giant Tance X 29er 1 which has 120mm of travel(10mm more than the Canyon). The Giant Trance has had some great write ups so you might want to consider the Giant trance X 29er 2 for the money you're talking about. Tha Giant Anthem X 29er 3 might also be worth a look as it was bike of the year but has less travel than the trance.

Some food for thought for you.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Which 29ers have you ridden that you liked?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    I've ridden the Canyon I own and also an Orbea 29er HT about a year ago. To be truthful, I haven't actually ridden a 29er full suss.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I would try a few first. I really didn't get on with the ones I tried, may be it was geometry or you need more time to get used to them (and these were high end stuff) but I couldn't wait to get back to a 26" FS.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500