New Cyclocross bike

PaulCSmith
PaulCSmith Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking of buying a Cyclocross bike and have got it down to four bikes. The Merida 4 Disc, Pinnacle Arkose 3, Whyte Saxon Cross and the Planet X Dirty Disco if anyone has any thoughts on the bikes above I would be most welcome. The Merida looks great, Arkose 3 is great but looks bland, Saxon cross and the Planet X I have no idea about.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links always help, although no idea about CX bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Congratulations on your incredible intelligence and exquisite taste, as evidenced by wanting a CX bike. Have you ruled out the Specialized options (various levels of CruX and Tricross)? The only insight I can offer on any of your four options is that the current record time for riding around the World is held by a guy who rode a Dirty Disco
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    On the basis of my extensive cx expereince (3 days!), I probably can't offer any meaningful advice ... but I am having a lot of fun on my Saracen Urban Hack 1 (which I picked up second hand for £480, with just a few months under its belt!)

They do the Urban Hack 2 as well ... although a quick look at the price/spec suggests it might not be as good value as some of the others you are looking at ... and you'd need some cx tyres, as the stock tyres are 38c slicks!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There is a bike missing off your list which comes out on top each time it's tested and that's the Boardman.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • PaulCSmith
    Thank you for all your comments. I forgot to mention The Boardman but have since looked again. Halfords now have the bike at £809. It's now down to the Boardman, Merida 4 disc and Pinnacle Arkose 3. Ruled out the Whyte. The Onone is just to expensive and don't want to wait another 6 months before I get the extra money together. I want disc brakes and the three above all have them. Boardman CX great value, Pinnacle Arkose 3 has fantastic running gear and BB7 brakes but it looks bland. The Merida 4 disc has good running gear too. Not sure the Sram shifters with the Boardman as I have had zero knowledge of them. Shimano 105 on the other two. Please give comments pros and cons as I will be buying the bike this weekend.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can I ask why you want a CX bike and what you will be using it for?
  • PaulCSmith
    I have a road bike but its only good when its dry. Mountain bike 29er is just fantastic but slow. I use the bike daily in all weather and cycle to work everyday. I need a bike that will do it all and in all weathers. Also I cycle around 3500 miles per year. Also cyclocross sounds fun but I would fit a compact chainset though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be erring towards a rigid MTB maybe.
  • It really depends on what you intend to do with it.. there's a world of difference between a "cross-over" bike such as a Croix de Fer with drillings for mudguards, bottle racks etc and a full-on racing cyclocross bike like the Condor Terra-X like I own and race on.