Hills?

2»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    To put some of the claims of steepness into perspective, Canton Ave. in Pittsburg, Penn. is reguarded as the steepest street in the U.S. It was measured as having a 37% slope in one section. This is about 20 degrees. I'm sure that there are plenty of claims or "I heard about's" all over the world that purport to be "way steeper that that". But aside from mountain goat trails and some Jeep roads I doubt you'll come across pavement much steeper than Canton Ave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street

Can't remember where I was but there was a street that claimed to be 35%. Very difficult to even walk up. Too steep to even consider attempting to ride.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    To put some of the claims of steepness into perspective, Canton Ave. in Pittsburg, Penn. is reguarded as the steepest street in the U.S. It was measured as having a 37% slope in one section. This is about 20 degrees. I'm sure that there are plenty of claims or "I heard about's" all over the world that purport to be "way steeper that that". But aside from mountain goat trails and some Jeep roads I doubt you'll come across pavement much steeper than Canton Ave.

Had to be in the good 'ol U S of A, didn't it?!

It was completely intention, just to p*ss you off. :roll:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Schoie81 wrote:
    AlexJones - great idea - but I've no idea how to set up segments on Strava - this is something i'd like to do anyway! Can you do it without paying a subsription to Strava - or is creating segments something you can only do if you subscribe?

You don't have to subscribe. Just go to one of your rides you've already done, then under 'Actions' on the right is a Create Segment option. You can only create segments from rides you've already done.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Church Lane in Whitby is 40% right at the bottom part, cobbled too!
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I've had a look at all the suggestions people have given so far - Strava seems to be the best and most accurate, but you have to have actually cycled the route before you can analyse the climbs (although typing this i've just wondered to myself if you can manually log rides in Strava???, in which case, i wont have to have cycled it...). MapMyRide seems the best of the rest for 'previewing' hills with a view to tackling them, althought the accuracy has to be taken with a pinch of salt - for a general idea though on whether you should fly up it without breaking sweat or its gonna be a long slog, its good enough.

And marylogic - think i'll be putting a Sky Mounti on my birthday list - just for a bit of fun!! Thanks for link to the retailer
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Strava seems to be the best and most accurate

I'm not so sure. To go off topic a little, the correlation gap between Strava and other sources is massive from what I've experienced. I plan my rides on ridewithgps.com, which gives you elevation profiles and data as you're building the route. This seems to tie up (give or take) with Garmin Connect after having ridden and uploaded the route AND after having enabled elevation corrections. The correction that Garmin Connect makes is always an upwards one, indicating my Edge 800 is understating the elevation. However, on Strava, it downgrades my elevation...always! The end result is this for a particular ride I recently did:

Strava after correction: 3,564ft
    Garmin Connect after correction: 4,292 ft
    RideWithGps: 4,198 ft

Garmin connect and ridewithgps are pretty similar. You'd expect differences, but Strava seems to be in another world! Which is the most trustworthy? I see elevation as being a key metric of achievement, so it grinds me a little when Strava takes my thunder away, contrary to other sources.

Sorry to go off topic!
  • dennisn
    Schoie81 wrote:

I'm not so sure. To go off topic a little, the correlation gap between Strava and other sources is massive from what I've experienced. I plan my rides on ridewithgps.com, which gives you elevation profiles and data as you're building the route. This seems to tie up (give or take) with Garmin Connect after having ridden and uploaded the route AND after having enabled elevation corrections. The correction that Garmin Connect makes is always an upwards one, indicating my Edge 800 is understating the elevation. However, on Strava, it downgrades my elevation...always! The end result is this for a particular ride I recently did:

Garmin connect and ridewithgps are pretty similar. You'd expect differences, but Strava seems to be in another world! Which is the most trustworthy? I see elevation as being a key metric of achievement, so it grinds me a little when Strava takes my thunder away, contrary to other sources.

Sorry to go off topic!

Maybe no one or no thing knows these things. It's just someones qualified, educated guess. :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Church Lane in Whitby is 40% right at the bottom part, cobbled too!

its a doddle compared to going up the 199 steps though. :D

Rosedal chimney is a beast. 1 mile long max gradient 33% although I swear the second hairpin is steeper and it must average close on 20% gradient.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    Schoie81 wrote:

Sorry to go off topic!

I capture on my Garmin 310XT then upload to Garmin Connect then onto Strava, there is always a difference, Strava seems to calculate higher then Garmin connect after correction on both of them.

However what I have found when comparing other riders rides for a sportive is the differences between riders, for example I did a 100mile sportive recently called 'Pock Pedal' in Yorkshire Wold, results were

Me - Garmin Connect - 5607ft
    Me - Strava - 5885ft
    Some other riders - 7419ft (edge800)/6863ft(edge500)/6053ft(edge800)/5753ft(edge500)/6650ft(edge500)

All on exact same route so basically a complete lottery! Seem to remember the route map on the website was around about 6500ft
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    dennisn wrote:

Steep, yes, but at only 200m in length it's not exactly what you would call a hill, is it?
  • dennisn
    JamesEs wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Steep, yes, but at only 200m in length it's not exactly what you would call a hill, is it?

Well, then you shouldn't have any trouble climbing it. Probably use your big chainring? After all it isn't a hill?
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Not saying it's not steep or that I would climb it easily, just that to me calling something a hill implies a longer climb than 200m. No need to get defensive!
  • dennisn
    JamesEs wrote:
    Not saying it's not steep or that I would climb it easily, just that to me calling something a hill implies a longer climb than 200m. No need to get defensive!

Sorry. It's just that sometimes you write in to add a bit of info to a forum and all of a sudden all these people seem to come out of the woodwork claiming bigger, faster, stronger, steeper, further, harder, etc. , etc. Sorry, shouldn't have jumped on you like that. :oops: