Uphill gear crunch troubles

nurglespuss
nurglespuss Posts: 43
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, I've been mountain biking everyday for about a month or so now, and am really enjoying it.

I'm quite heavy, but my fitness is increasing steadily, and in my area there are a LOT of hills, which I've previously struggled up in 1st gear, but can now get up in 2nd or even 3rd gear sometimes (I know I've been changing gear wrongly and have now corrected my practice - I was previously only using these gears on the front section, and ignoring the lovely collection of gears at the back). However, I've developed a problem.

I always change gear in anticipation of the hill, but if I wish to use 2nd gear (on the front section) after just a few steps of pressured peddling uphill, it will suddenly crunch down onto the 1st gear instead. Or, even worse, will do this suddenly halfway up the hill causing a sudden halt.

I'm worried about snapping my chain/breaking my bike, if this continues (in fact I'm staying away from this gear altogether now, other than to pass through it up or down). I've given everything a thorough clean, degreasing, and a waxing - its running very smoothly.

This is a 2nd hand bike (an old Kona) and it may need some TLC, or a friend advised I could adjust/improve the selection of each gear - though i have no idea how to do this.

I've probably used all the wrong terminology, but I hope you get the gist of that and may be able to offer advice!

Many thanks.

Comments