Cycling on the A4

KMC1993
KMC1993 Posts: 101
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi, Dont know if this is the right place for this.
Does anyone know whether the A4 between Slough and Reading is safe to cycle? If not can anyone recommend any alternative routes.

Thanks

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    'Safe' is a very subjective word. I live in the Slough area and ride on various bits of the A4 between there and Reading and I've never had any problems. Having said that it is a major road and so does at certain times i.e. rush hour have a lot of traffic on it and also the surface can be bad in places (but you could say that about any road). It also has a number of major junctions and roundabouts which sometimes aren't for the faint hearted, I'm thinking where it crosses the A404 at the Maidenhead Thicket roundabout.

On the whole though I would say that it's not a bad road to ride on, it's wide enough and mostly well lit, so as long as you consider yourself a confident rider I would expect you to have any problems.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    ^ What he said! Certainly rough in patches, faster than average traffic, but wider lanes means I've always made pretty good progress on this road.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • KMC1993
    KMC1993 Posts: 101
    Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like it should be ok, will be riding mid afternoon so traffic shouldn't be too bad.