Clipped by a car - is my tyre ok?

smithy05
smithy05 Posts: 114
edited May 2013 in Road general
Just got back from a ride and got clipped by a car. I was travelling down the road and this woman was turning into a road I was just passing. I slammed my brakes on and managed to unclip in time to push myself away from her car with my my foot off her bumper. I was ok luckily, no damage to me or the bike, but I have noticed a small nick in my tyre where I braked very hard. Will it be ok to use again? Or does it need replacing?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94674382@N06/8777927485/

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I have tyres with loads of them in the tread, it should be fine. It's the sidewall you want to be wary of getting nicks in.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    That'll be fine. Are they new tyres? All my tyres are absolutely covered in glass cuts, many of them bigger than that, wouldn't even cross my mind to replace them.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Glad to hear you're ok - left hooks are always tricky.

As for the tyre - looks like a number of nicks my tyres are currently sporting - I'd take the tyre off and run your fingers on the inside to see if there's anything poking into the inner tube, but realistically, if it's not cut through the carcass, that's the kind of hole I'd live with. I'm forever picking out flints and glass shards leaving holes like this...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I wouldn't worry about it either. Unless you were hustling along pretty seriously and locked it up skidding for a while I would assume the tyre is fine.
  • Barrie_g63
    Barrie_g63 Posts: 46
    yeah that's fine much less than the main wear area is designed to cope with
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks fine. Glad it was just a close call :wink:

So was she coming from your right side and you put your foot on her front bumper?
  • smithy05
    smithy05 Posts: 114
    Yes she was coming from my right, turning into a side street I was just passing. Thanks for everyone's replies, glad I won't need a new tyre and that me and the bike survived my closest call yet on a bike. It has made me realise how much I dislike cycling in Birmingham, I am a student up here and now realised how spoilt I am back home with miles of Oxfordshire countryside to ride in
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :shock: Sounds scary. I hope you scratched her bumper with your cleat.

On a more serious note, I hope the experience has not left you traumatised. Its a good sign that you are concerned about your tyre, so guessing you will make a full recovery :wink:

Hopefully the driver was nearly as shook up and will be a lot more observant in the future.