More front suspension

zal1981
zal1981 Posts: 6
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Trek Top Fuel 9.9. It has 100mm suspension front and rear. It is great for racing, but I tend to do mostly trail riding and am soon off for a week in Morzine.

Do you think it would be possible and worthwhile to put a longer fork on it? I would like something more forgiving and also to slacken the head tube angle a fair bit. I was thinking about a Talas 110 to 140 fork.

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    110 ok. 120 maybe not. 140 remember to post the video of the bike breaking and you going over a cliff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    or get £250 off YBF!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    zal1981 wrote:
    I have a Trek Top Fuel 9.9. It has 100mm suspension front and rear. It is great for racing, but I tend to do mostly trail riding and am soon off for a week in Morzine.

Do you think it would be possible and worthwhile to put a longer fork on it? I would like something more forgiving and also to slacken the head tube angle a fair bit. I was thinking about a Talas 110 to 140 fork.

Thanks.

An extra 20mm should be ok. Will slacken things out by about a degree and will raise the BB a bit too. The bike "may" cope with a 140mm fork, but will handle like a piece of sh*t, so i wouldnt bother.
  • zal1981
    zal1981 Posts: 6
    Ok, thank you. I think I may need to just suck it up and get on with it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    zal1981 wrote:
    Ok, thank you. I think I may need to just suck it up and get on with it!

cheapest and best idea :lol: