Complete Newbie Needs Some Advice

gubble
gubble Posts: 10
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hello

I'm completely new to road riding. I've been cycling on and off for a few years on my old, battered mountain bike (bought for the bargain price of £11 on ebay) and would like to get into road riding.

I've been reading the forum on here and not being flush with cash have looked down the route of finding an older style steel racer to get me going on the road. I've acquired an early 90's Raleigh Scoprio which is in lovely condition however requires news tyres - as i'm 100% new to this i've no idea about tyres etc so any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Chris

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    Welcome Chris. Few different types of tyre about. Give us some ideas about what you're looking for in a tyre so folk can help.

All the best
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    For example, do you want the fastest rolling tyre available or the best puncture protection or a combination?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I assume you are not vying for a stage win in the Giro and just want some reasonably performing relatively strong and long lasting tyres, so fit and forget Gatorskins.
  • gubble
    Hi there - thank you for the responses.

I'm just wanting something that's going to give good tyre life and durability from punctures etc. I'm so green and naive on this subject it's untrue ! I'll obviously have to find the tyre size first - I'm assuming this would be on the tyre wall like on a car or motorcycle?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You need the diameter designation, probably 700c but older scorpios may be 27".
    The tyre width suitable for your brake and frame clearance. Race bikes can accept up to 25mm, sport bikes usually go up to 28mm, occasionally 32m. Wider tyres are generally better for everyday utility rides, thinner tyres are lighter and more aerodynamic for fast sporty riding. I commuted on Schwalbe Marathon 28mm which is a heavy but tough and durable tyre that can cope well with potholes, rough roads and even tracks and trails.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    As others have said its down to what you want most (speed/comfort/reliabilty). I would guess that you want something that is a jack of all trades and assuming your road bike has 700c wheels then I would look at eBay, you can get 2 Nutrak 700x28c tyres with tubes for about £18. I have had mine for 6 months and they hold up well, no punctures and they are pretty grippy. Ok so they are not super light but they will be ALOT faster than the tyres you are used to on a MTB.

I would go for wider tyres as they tend to be a bit more comfortable and more durable but still give good speed. 25c or 28c are good bets, your old raleigh will handle 28c no probs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Nutrak-Roa ... 27cee9ab18
  • gubble
    Thanks for the advice- wish i'd seen that ebay link before I purchased a couple of tyres on another site.

I purchased some 700x23c Tyres - do you think they'll be ok?

Currently the bike has a 700x23c on the rear and a 700x28c on the front !