Glasses Wearers On Drops

Frank Wilson
Frank Wilson Posts: 930
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I must admit I very rarely use the drops but when I do being a glasses wearer I find I am looking over the top of my specs and consequently can't see a lot, is it time for Dennis Taylor to start marketing his snooker glasses for cyclists?

How do other people cope?

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I must admit I very rarely use the drops but when I do being a glasses wearer I find I am looking over the top of my specs and consequently can't see a lot, is it time for Dennis Taylor to start marketing his snooker glasses for cyclists?

I don't; I wear contact lenses. I hate wearing glasses anyway, but if my eyes aren't playing ball (etc) I have been known to not cycle, however pathetic. I use the drops a lot, for what it's worth. I've used a glasses retainer strap pulled really tight to hold my glasses right up against my face. It does work, but it's not comfortable. I'm guessing there must be prescription sports/cycling specific sunglasses available; if you have the money this is probably the best solution if you want to wear glasses.
  • aripallaris
    aripallaris Posts: 294
    might be worth getting a pair of prescription cycling glasses mate. oakleys are great but expensive. u can get prescriptions made up for many brands. they fit better to the face and dont fall down like standard glasses
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It may depend on your prescription & vision needs - a few options:
    Normal specs only.
    Normal specs under cycling specs.
    Contacts - with cycling specs over.
    Sports/cycling specs with prescription 'inserts' behind the cycling specs.
    Full-on prescription sports/cycling specs.

...it may be worth checking this place out: http://selectspecs.com
    Cycling weakly
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Cycling is one of the few sports where you need eye protection and regular specs are good enough to do the job.
    The current fashion for specs is wide and thin, the opposite of our needs. I found a more rounded style by Flexon (I think model 508) which works well for everyday riding.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I wear specs and have never noticed a problem. To be honest I find the helmet more of problem for seeing properly when I'm in the drops but that's probably because I could do with getting a proper road helmet.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have regular prescription sunnies, i.e as in just chosen from normal specsavers range as a free second pair, not cycle specific with inserts or anything fancy. i chose a style leaning towards wrap around and certainly bigger lense than my frameless regular specs. I don't have a problem with looking "round the frames". I have a pair with a blue tint which is good for not too bright conditions and a normal grey/black tint for when its very sunny.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    I use daily disposable contacts for cycling.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

not a problem with purpose made cycling glasses. mine are quite deep. this may be a problem if i was to slam the stem down, but i don't think so. on long downhills, i get my chin near the stem and don't have any issues.

i have photochromatic prescription lenses on frames from optilabs. have yellow lenses for mtb.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I have some cycling glasses and I don't have this problem but I would if I wore my normal sunglasses.

I don't think riding without glasses is a great idea. If you get a flying stone in your eye, you are going to be sorry.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Add another one wearing daily disposable contacts for all sports. With cycling I supplement with Oakley (non prescription) lenses appropriate to light conditions for eye protection.

Just in case the point has not already been made I would recommend plastic based lenses rather than glass in case of any impacts.

Finally above all else I hate wearing glasses in the rain!

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    I bought these - they have interchangeable lenses, the 2 darker tints are polarised and all have UV protection. They have a prescription insert which my loal optician put lenses in for £30 - so £70 all in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Performance-PRESCRIPTION-SUNGLASSES-Interchangeable-Protection/dp/B0048F5DOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369247906&sr=8-1&keywords=sunglasses+for+cycling+prescription

They work fine for me, they don't slip (although they come with a strap) and are in a very nice case to hold glasses and all lenses.
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    Cycling glasses with an insert on my weekend bike.
    My road commuter I use with normal specs but it has a stack of spacers and a high% rise on it.
    I can't use contacts due to allergies etc but suspect they're probably the best solution with nonprescription glasses to keep the cack out of your eyes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just ride on the hoods if its that big a deal to get sorted properly.

I use contact lenses for sport and wear a proper pair of cycling glasses when cycling.

If I could not use contact lenses I would have 2 pairs of prescription cycling glasses (one clear, one dark).

If I could not get my prescription made into cycling glasses I would quit cycling and take up snooker!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

Do you mean prescription specs or just that you wear cycling glasses when out? I'm long sighted don't bother wearing prescription glasses when riding. Makes it hard to read the Garmin to keep a check on my cadence and HR but so what, I can guess when I'm at roughly my usual cadence or breathing too hard. But I do wear cycling glasses and spend time on the drops. A lot depends on the fit of the glasses with your helmet (if you wear one) and how supple your neck and shoulders are. I use Rudy Project Genetyks and find they allow me to get down low and still see the road ahead until my neck protests. I'd always try whichever specs you choose whilst wearing your helmet before buying.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971

Don't wear glasses.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Bustacapp wrote:

Don't wear glasses.

Frankly we are all a bit fed up with your attitude. 2 Warnings now, there won't be a third..
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Frankly we are all a bit fed up with your attitude.
    work.1437432.6.fc,550x550,red.v3_large.jpg

I can't believe I lastest this long to be honest!
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    philthy3 wrote:

Do you mean prescription specs or just that you wear cycling glasses when out? I'm long sighted don't bother wearing prescription glasses when riding. Makes it hard to read the Garmin to keep a check on my cadence and HR but so what, I can guess when I'm at roughly my usual cadence or breathing too hard. But I do wear cycling glasses and spend time on the drops. A lot depends on the fit of the glasses with your helmet (if you wear one) and how supple your neck and shoulders are. I use Rudy Project Genetyks and find they allow me to get down low and still see the road ahead until my neck protests. I'd always try whichever specs you choose whilst wearing your helmet before buying.

Yes they are prescription glasses, I am quite short sighted and trust me you would not want to be on the same stretch of road if i was not wearing them! I think long term I will go for as suggested a larger pair of presciption sun glasses. Laser eye correction is out of the question as I am a coward when it comes to things medical!

You are also quite correct about the helmet as well when wearing specs as there does seem to be a bit of interaction between the two when on drops.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Google some pics of Martin Earley or Laurent Fignon - both wore glasses, without the 'Dennis Taylor' look. If you are looking over the tops of them, then your position might need some work.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited May 2013

not a problem with purpose made cycling glasses. mine are quite deep. this may be a problem if i was to slam the stem down, but i don't think so. on long downhills, i get my chin near the stem and don't have any issues.

i have photochromatic prescription lenses on frames from optilabs. have yellow lenses for mtb.
    +1 I have a pair of prescription photochromic cycling glasses from Optilabs and they're excellent, they now do quite a few more styles so you should be able to find something right for you.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • seejay
    seejay Posts: 11
    Either I am doing it wrong or I'm lucky with my facial dimensions - I wear one of them 'hipster glasses' (black frames, big glasses) and it works surprisingly well for me. I generally don't wear sunglasses anyway, so this saved me money by using my 'normal wear' glasses.

Got them £40 odd from Lensway, including lenses, additional anti-glare coating and delivery.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Imposter wrote:
    Google some pics of Martin Earley or Laurent Fignon - both wore glasses, without the 'Dennis Taylor' look. If you are looking over the tops of them, then your position might need some work.

In the only picture I can recall seeing of Earley, his glasses were the size of twin satellite dishes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bondurant wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

In the only picture I can recall seeing of Earley, his glasses were the size of twin satellite dishes.

:lol: yep there are a couple of pics around like that. I remember watching him during his PDM days with what seemed like 'normal' looking specs on...
  • Kingsmill1
    Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
    daily disposable and or prescription oakleys for me, have gone out without glasses or contacts but it is very hard to judge speed and distance of other moving objects.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    I have some sunglasses with prescription lenses, work fine for me. Learn to use the drops more too :D
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • Trickle
    Trickle Posts: 22
    Makes me wonder about my priorities. I'm still too tight to pay the £2-2.5K for lazer eye treatment, but I can spend £600 then £1.5K on bikes + more on gear in the last 6 months :/

Using daily contacts with normal cheapo cycling shades. Don't fancy coming off my bike (hey its going to happen eventually) and bending my specs miles away from home. Also the watery eyes during descending makes what ought to be a pleasure a pain.