Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Lake CX401 sizing

AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I think I am going to get these now as I can get them on wiggle for £254.

Anyone else normally a UK 10 (in normal shoes) and have Lakes?

I was thinking I need a 45 in the Lakes. Is this about right to try first?
Anything else I need to know? How should they feel before heating? A little more snug than usual?
Am guessing that size wise I just need to make sure they are not too small in length?

Thanks in advance for any help :wink:

• bernithebikerbernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I have the 331's after loving the 236's.

The 236's were the comfiest - the 331's are more racey, stiffer, with less padding inside.

I would consider the 331's because I think I'm right in saying they came out after the 401's as a more affordable alternative, and I can't see much difference between the two. (I paid about 180 I think).

I'm a 41 in Sidi, and a 41 Lake fits me fine.

To be honest, I found that the whole heating process didn't change a great deal in the fit. I followed all the instructions carefully, and the shoes were toasty warm, but not a whole lot changed. If anything, they dug in slightly around the side of my heel, so I did a reheat, and didn't press them in so much.

My 1st few rides felt a bit uncomfy and I wondered if I'd done the right thing changing from the 236's. But the 331's broke in nicely, and now they're 90% as comfy as the 236's (i.e. very).

They're also extremely light and stiff, and the Boa works great - even better than the 236's.

I know Bonts are held in high regard, and I haven't tried them, but for me, these Lake's are the best shoes out there.
  • wishitwasallflatwishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    I am a UK 10 and Lake 45s fitted me (I get the wide fit Lake's but the 45 lenght is fine in the standard). Watch out though I find Lakes to be too high at the front round the ankle and they dig into the front of my ankle after an hour or so - I got Bont's instead - the Bonts are way way better Bont shoes are the same shape as feet (makes sense if you think about it)!

I am sure there is a fitting guide on the Lake website
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks guys :wink:

I'll check out the Lake site but just wanted to see what you guys said too.

To be honest its the colour/design that makes me want to go for the 401's over other options.
    I am getting Speedplay specific ones too.
  • il_principeil_principe Posts: 9,152
    If you want heat mouldable - go Bont. I got fitted for both. Preferred the look of the Lake's but the Bonts (Vapor) are so comfy. Guy in the shop advised I go with Bonts as well, even though they were cheaper...

I should add that one of the ratchet straps broke on one shoe (after a year's use). Luckily these are replaceable and easy to source. Also Bont have announced some new designs which look far more appealing.
    2015 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    2020 Canyon Inflite SL 7
    On the Strand
    Crown Stables