Is it worth it?

deadorred
deadorred Posts: 8
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Paying an extra £400 for Deore XT over SRAM X9 on the same machine?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If that's the only difference, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why would you want XT?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    SRAM shifters and mechs are decent enough IMHO. Certianly not worth paying 400 quid extra for shimano.

Do you have links to the bikes?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    To be honest the way the groupsets are evolving, SLX is probably a better comparison to X9 - thus the massive disparity in price (with XT squaring off against XO and XTR vs XX).

So do you want SLX or X9? - the great shimano vs SRAM debate will always continue!!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    deadorred wrote:
    if its still the AL 29er you were looking at, i'd say it has more to do with the 9.9 having a factory fork over the performance unit on the 8.9 than the drivetrain :wink:
        if not, then ignore the rubbish above :lol:
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • thelonegroover
        thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
        Are you sure everything is the same, seems a bit strange for a maker to do this.
        Planet X Kaffenback 2
        Giant Trance X2
        Genesis High Latitude 2x10
        Planet X n2a
        Genesis Core 20
      • thelonegroover
        thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
        I'd actually consider the 7.9 and save even more money!
        Planet X Kaffenback 2
        Giant Trance X2
        Genesis High Latitude 2x10
        Planet X n2a
        Genesis Core 20
      • .blitz
        .blitz Posts: 6,197
        deadorred wrote:
        you have got to be kidding
      • chez_m356
        Are you sure everything is the same, seems a bit strange for a maker to do this.
        if it is the 2 canyons i think it is, drive train, forks and wheels are different, only the op can tell us for sure
      • concorde
        concorde Posts: 1,008
        Demo'd a few bikes the other weekend and I'd not have any SRAM shifters on a bike I buy in the future below X9. Even then I'd rather have the deores I've got on my current bike over the x9!
      • chrisw333
        chrisw333 Posts: 695
        Concorde wrote:
        Demo'd a few bikes the other weekend and I'd not have any SRAM shifters on a bike I buy in the future below X9. Even then I'd rather have the deores I've got on my current bike over the x9!

Just don't understand this. The X9 on my old bike was infinitely better on the Deore I had previously and at least as good, if not better, than the XT / SLX mix I have now.

I know it's all down to opinions and I like both, but I just don't buy into this SRAM bashing.
      • The Rookie
        The Rookie Posts: 27,812
        My son has X9 shifters, I like them, in fact I had SRAM Rockets with my XT rear mech for a long time until I switched to an ST-M765 XT shifter.
        Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
      • chez_m356
        chrisw333 wrote:
        Concorde wrote:

Just don't understand this. The X9 on my old bike was infinitely better on the Deore I had previously and at least as good, if not better, than the XT / SLX mix I have now.

I know it's all down to opinions and I like both, but I just don't buy into this SRAM bashing.
        i have a Deore/SLX mix on one bike and full X9 set on another, i like both, though i do favour the X9, at the end of the day, you click them and they change, simple
      • benpinnick
        benpinnick Posts: 4,148
        Since you could probably buy the X9 bike and an XT groupo for less than the XT price, no....

FWIW I bash SRAM because I don't like it. I dont like the way it feels, I dont like the way it looks, I dont like the way their mechs seem far to easy to break, I dont like their crazy chainset standards, I dont like their brakes, I dont like the price of their cassettes. Theres alot Im not keen on, but maybe thats just me.
        A Flock of Birds
        + some other bikes.