Argghhhh getting worried....

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
got my first sportive in a couple of weeks, but haven't really ridden in a few weeks either

getting worried.....bike is due in for a tinker tomorrow so fingers crossed i can start putting miles in
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Ah don't worry about it, you'll be fine. How hard can it be, right?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm sh!tting myself over the London Ride 100. I have no excuse now I raised over the £500 minimum. Place is confirmed, new bike ordered, it even has a tripple to get me up the hills.... I have no excuse. However last two training rides in Surrey hills have absolutley killed me.

Do you need insurance for sportive? If so is a daily one or annual one better? The insurer I may well use for new bike want £100 extra for sport cover seems a lot for one event...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No more need for sportiv insurance than there is for riding anywhere else. Your choice, but not mandatory / necessary. A sportiv isn't a race.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just look at it like this. A sportive is a bike ride on the same roads that you could ride any day for free only you get to pay for the pleasure! The only real difference is that there is a little more motivation incorporated so don't worry about it - just enjoy it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mudcow007
    ive never rode a 100 miles, especially (what feels like a) millions of miles away from home
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited May 2013
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ive never rode a 100 miles, especially (what feels like a) millions of miles away from home

Where is it? Makes all the difference. If Cheshire Plain, then it is just about how long your backside can cope with being sat on the saddle; otherwise a doddle. If it is Bowland, then you will die a hideous, long drawn out death on the relentless, unforgiving hills of doom. It's no surprise that Tolkein based Middle Earth on Bowland. Basically you'll be riding into the gates of Mordor.

So hopefully the Sportive isn't there then! :lol:

Hope this helps.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Rolf F wrote:
    Just look at it like this. A sportive is a bike ride on the same roads that you could ride any day for free only you get to pay for the pleasure! The only real difference is that there is a little more motivation incorporated so don't worry about it - just enjoy it!

The roads aren't usually closed to traffic though, it is worth paying for that alone on the London 100.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Where is it? Makes all the difference. If Cheshire Plain, then it is just about how long your backside can cope with being sat on the saddle; otherwise a doddle. If it is Bowland, then you will die a hideous, long drawn out death on the relentless, unforgiving hills of doom. It's no surprise that Tolkein based Middle Earth on Bowland. Basically you'll be riding into the gates of Mordor.

Hope this helps.

Genius post :lol:

Got my 2nd 100 mile sportive at the end of June. Need to get some longer rides in but basically did it last year on the back of simply doing the 12 miles to and from work.

Eat, drink and be merry is the best advice for a Sportive.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    Rolf F wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Hope this helps.

ahh thats better i feel all warm an fuzzy inside now :shock:

this is the little cheeky number

Clicky
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'm sh!tting myself over the London Ride 100. I have no excuse now I raised over the £500 minimum. Place is confirmed, new bike ordered, it even has a tripple to get me up the hills.... I have no excuse. However last two training rides in Surrey hills have absolutley killed me.

Do you need insurance for sportive? If so is a daily one or annual one better? The insurer I may well use for new bike want £100 extra for sport cover seems a lot for one event...

How long were the training rides? How much climbing? I've a bunch of GPXs from sportives I've done this year if you want some routes to build up with. Welcome to come out on 68m/6100ft route from Orpington with us on Sat if you like. 930am start.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?