Confirming which BB I have

RichB86
RichB86 Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!

I need to replace my BB as its popping etc and I have checked all the other areas. Only thing been I cannot find out if I have a powerdrive or ISIS BB. When I took off the crank arms I assumed it was an ISIS however now I'm not sure.

The bike is a 2012 Boardman Comp, the crank arms are FSA Alpha Drive and the spindle is shaped like an ISIS (so isn't a square shape). The Boardman website notes the BB as FSA Power Drive. Am I limited to this type? (seems pretty rare) or do ISIS BBs work also?

I'd rather not be changing my cranks just yet as the bike is only just under a year old and I'm a little tight for cash at the moment.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Power drive is a FSA own design. if you are keeping the cranks then that is what you have to use.

Or bin the lot and fit whatever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RichB86
    RichB86 Posts: 3
    Thanks for confirming.

Would I be able to upgrade to BB30 at some point if i wanted to without changing frames?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RichB86 wrote:
    Thanks for confirming.

Would I be able to upgrade to BB30 at some point if i wanted to without changing frames?
    no and I am not sure I would use the word "Upgrade" and BB30 in the same sentence.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown