New old pikes

EH_Rob
EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Is there anywhere you can still pick old pikes up new? I seem to remember a link that was posted not so long back, or i might be imagining it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not seen any for a while. Often spring up on the classifieds though!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I remember a link being posted a while back, but I think it was about 2 years ago!

The last ones I saw were from one of the german retailers.

Just get a 2nd hand set, they're dirt cheap!
  • EH_Rob
    cheers gents. torn between either spending less on the pikes, or taking a bit of a punt on an X Fusion Slant at 450. looks like an interesting fork.
  • styxd
    You should be able to get some air Pikes 454 for about £150 if you keep your eyes open. Factor in another £150 for a Push upgrade and a service - quids in. Or I might not have a clue what Im on about!
  • EH_Rob
    yup, sounds about right. i know the xfusions are a lot lighter and have 34mm stanchions plus tapered steerer. i know also that pikes are stiff, wonder which would be better?
  • styxd
    Why are you considering the Pikes anyway? Is it for the travel adjust (the best feature on any fork ever made I reckon)?

Otherwise, what about revelationS?
  • EH_Rob
    only because of price really - had no idea what new ones would go for mind.

im considering revs. the xfusions have travel adjust from 130-160mm. only thing they don't have is a great deal of adjustability (air sprung, rebound only i believe). although the factory tune is meant to be ok. that being said, travel adjust probably isn't that helpful without compression adjust too. argh.
  • styxd
    Havent really got a clue about forks these days! I saw one of the German retailers selling Magura Thors cheap a while ago - could be worth checking out?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    EH_Rob wrote:
    only thing they don't have is a great deal of adjustability (air sprung, rebound only i believe).

Depends which model you go for, compression adjust is an option on some. I might be mistaken but I think some also have high and low speed compression circuits.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The slant is a great fork, but the A2C is very long. The DLA works well and the damping is bang on without needing adjustability.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • EH_Rob
    thanks for the comments.

as far as im aware there's only two models of slant - one with external travel adjust (130mm-160mm), one with internal adjust (100-160mm I believe). They both lack compression adjust, but if the factory tune is good as Ben says I'm willing to give them a shot I think.

the new pike looks ace but im guessing that it'll be up around the same price as a 34, which probably rules it out unfortunately.

thanks for pointing out the a2c of the slant ben, that is quite long - the same as a 36. i currently ride one without issue, although I guess it'll be different on a different frame. I'll ask Cotic what the score is.

so its looking like rev vs slant. anyone aware of a decent rev deal anywhere at the moment?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Try Merlin cycles, they are my usual first port of call for Rock Shox forks.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Got a vgc set of rct3's converted to DP coil if you want them ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.