Fulcrum and other 29er wheel opinions

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a good light but stiff 29er wheel set for XC/trail riding and would like some opinions and suggestions as there seem to be so many options out there it's a little overwhelming.

I won't be doing any heavy downhill type stuff but they need to put up with rough rocky trails (so shouldn't dent easily) and the odd 1 - 1.5ft drop. I weight around 85Kg with full kit and the wheel will be fitted to a Pyga OneTen29 FS frame. I'd like to stay under 1800g weight for the wheel set if possible and budget £300-£450.
Front wheel will require 20mm or 15mm axle (still haven't decided on the fork). Rear wheel is 142/12mm axle.

So far on my list are:
Fulcrum Red Power XL - €225
Fulcrum Red Metal XL (a little over my budget) - €499
Notubes ZTR Arch EX built on XT or Superstar Switch EVO hubs - £410 (which hubs would you go for)
Easton EA70 XCT (well over budget) - £510
Mavic Crossride - £180

The Fulcrums look nice and seem to get good reviews but I'm a little concerned about how well they will last and remain true and the serviceability due to their proprietary hubs and spokes.
My original thoughts were to custom build the Notubes Arch Ex but I read some reviews saying the Arch EX can be a little flexy.

Comments