Recommendations please.
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    plugp7 wrote:
    Best on-bike chain cleaner. Which one?
    Recommendations please.

My LBS uses a sonic cleaner and it is awesome - though you need to be thorough when you re-lube it.

TBH, some kind of degreaser, in a sink, with your chain left in over night is your best bet, but I suspect you mean the actual bike cleaning tool? In which case I've got a cheap £6 one which does the job fairly well - more expensive one's will do no more than cost more money.

Or some degreaser, good brushes, water, and a rag.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    plugp7 wrote:
    Best on-bike chain cleaner. Which one?
    Recommendations please.

My LBS uses a sonic cleaner and it is awesome - though you need to be thorough when you re-lube it.

TBH, some kind of degreaser, in a sink, with your chain left in over night is your best bet, but I suspect you mean the actual bike cleaning tool? In which case I've got a cheap £6 one which does the job fairly well - more expensive one's will do no more than cost more money.

Or some degreaser, good brushes, water, and a rag.

Degreaser in a sink. Someone is very tolerant of your behaviour!!
    Seriously, I normally take chain and sometimes the cassette off and soak in white spirit or turps' and clean with toothbrush. This is fine but I don't believe this is necessary most of the time.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    In which case I've got a cheap £6 one which does the job fairly well - more expensive one's will do no more than cost more money.

I'd disagree with that as I have 2 over the last 10 years, the first one a cheap one which lasted about 2 years and finally died, now have a more expensive Park Tools (though to be fair didn't exactly cost the earth) & is really well built and the internals come out for cleaning too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    This stuff is superb:

33101120001.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never clean chains. Squirt lube. Bit of a hose and scrub if it's really bad when I wash it. Relube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    Personally (when I can be arsed) I just spray it with wd40, get 2 brushes and sandwich the chain between the brushes while giving it a scrub. Then wash it all down and re lube.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I got one of these for two quid at a local bike shop - works really well:

http://www.fenwicks.info/bike/index.php ... ing-sponge