Giant Trance X4 2012 Seat Clamp Issue

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Hello,

Has anyone had any issues with a Giant Trance X4 2012 seat clamp. I ride the bike and the seat angle goes up, I do it up again and straight away, soemtimes not even leaving the car park and the seat angle has changed and the angle is making it quite uncomfortable to ride at times. The back of the seat drops back pushing the front up.

Weve torqued the bolt as well and still no use. It moves and then we cant push back, we have to undo the bolt first before moving back.

Anyone else had this and managed to fix this?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the post? single or twin bolt?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • worb68
    Single allen key bolt under the seat at the back.
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    Standard giant seatpost?
    On my trance there were slots in the clamp so when you tightenned it up they aligned to prevent seat angle slipping.
    You might just need to nip the clamp bolts up a bit more.
    When your riding, if your going over gnarly ground, do you stay seated or stand up on your pedals?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Strip, clean, degrease, dry, and refit. (but grease the bolt)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Strip, clean, degrease, dry, and refit. (but grease the bolt)
    and make sure you bed the serations together before full tightening.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • worb68
    im going to strip it tonight and clean etc.
    It is the standard Giant seat post.
    Gnarly ground - depends, a mixture of both - standing and seated. However at the moment when I do it up in the car park I dont even get out of the car park before it adjusts again.
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    Definitely something wrong there then as there are slots to prevent that happening. I bent a giant connect seatpost without the seat angle changing when it kicked me up the ass after a dodgy landing.
    Ditch it and get a branded post. I have had 2 giant posts that slipped down the frame from being too narrow. Now use a truvativ stylo t30and have tried a dropper, zero slippage or problems with either .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check the bolt isn't hitting the underside of the saddle preventing it being tightened correctly.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • worb68
    Stripped It and cleaned it all. See how it rides tomorrow I guess.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The serrations are a bit cheese like, mine pointed skywards after I whacked it with my arse on a landing.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • worb68
    Well that was fun. Rode out of the car park at Swinley last night and it moved a bit, not as much as usual though. On ride back coming downhill seat bolt snapped and the seat felt off at speed.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    At least you've found the problem!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • worb68
    Lets hope so!!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    I've got a Trance x5 (2009?).

Also had a Giant A3 seatpost with same clamping issue. Tried tightening it up loads, strip/clean/reassemble, Loctite nothing worked so binned it in the end.

The seatpost clamp (Giant own brand) wouldn't hold the seatpost no matter how tight it was done up. Eventually I broke the lever trying to do it up a bit tighter.

New seatpost and seatpost clamp and problem sorted.
  • worb68
    Thistle that's good to know - thanks.