Wheel Upgrade..

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have read many times that a good upgrade is to change the wheels, so a question or two please.

The bike in mind is a Cannondale Bad Boy 2 fitted with Maddux rims.
So if I upgrade what would be an upgrade as I have no idea on wheels that would be better than the Maddux's fitted to the bike at the moment.
Dont want heavy wheels the lighter the better and good rims for the price/money.
Would £400 cover it or would I need to spend more or less? I would of course change over the brake disc's and cassette.

Cheers

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You may get a better response in the Mountain Bike Section. Us roadies know little about such things :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • skooter
    No replies would seem its in the wrong section but I'm not sure what was.
    I'll stick it in there later today.

Thanks.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I ride a disc Bad Boy and I can sympathise. Factory wheels with disc hubs and narrower 700c rims are hard to come by. Your options are handbuilts (which should be affordable on your budget, an probably a better idea all round) or searching through 29er and Cyclocross wheels for one with a narrow enough rim.

You're probably not going to get some superlight sub 1400g wheels, but it wouldn't be hard to get something lighter than the Maddux wheels.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    These: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290767391841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649with spokes and rims of your choice and built by your local friendly wheel builder.

Allow £100 - £150 for the rims and £50 - £100 for the build and you are well in budget.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    XT hubs are cheaper more reiable bt heavier than those Novatec's.

Build with Mavic Open Pro, DT Swiss RR465 or H Plus Son Archtype rims with Sapim Race spokes and you will have a very reliable wheelset for less than £400.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • skooter
    So how much over my £400 budget would I have to go to get good rims?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    With a £400 budget you can have good rims like the DT Swiss RR465. It the hubs that cost for example XTR hubs or DT Swiss 240 will cost alot, the DT Swiss hubs alone will eat your £400 bdget by themselves.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • skooter
    So £500 would put me in a better position then?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Superstas CX rims are great VFM, but out of stock at the moment, not sure when/if they will get them back in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There's no need to blow the budget on DT hubs!

I've got Superstar superleggera front, Switch evo rear hubs, Crest 29 rims and DT rev spokes, can't remember the exact price but less than £400 for sure and they weigh 1590g.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • skooter
    My Bad Boy 2 runs on 700 rims if that helps?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    700c rim is the same as a 29er, so not really, no!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.