BBC Giro Coverage

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Obviously I don't get to listen to any of these, but I was idly listening through the Bespoke podcasts today and it sounds like the BBC have had some live coverage going on on 5 Live extra.

Has anyone listened? Is it any good. The Podcasts with Simon Brotherton and Rob Hayles are very Sky/Wiggo/Cav centric (have nt got to THE ABANDONMENT yet), which I suppose is to be expected, but they re not saying anything too stupid yet.

I know we re all going to be cool and say that it's rubbish and only directed at idiots, but can anyone look at it objectively? Nice to see (and support) some coverage of our little sport, moreso if the Sky behemoth is stirring
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I haven't listened to any of them. Used to listen to lots of cycling podcasts but I simply don't have enough time these days.

Simon Brotherton has been covering cycling for Radio 5 for years, and Rob Hayles has ridden the Giro, so you'd expect them to talk some sense. Not surprised they are quite Sky/GB focussed, and to be fair that's probably justified considering their market is more towards the mainstream, used to hearing about how "our" teams are getting on overseas.

This might be an anathema to us hardcore fans, but I am firmly in the camp of believing that the more coverage there is of cycling the better, even if the mainstream coverage is a bit dumbed down. There are plenty of places for the hardcore to get together and discuss the finer points of the Belgian semi-classics and Ivan Basso's saddle sores. More coverage will eventually lead to more investment in the sport, better coverage and will hopefully secure the sports future.

Sky may be the devil to some, but they have at least made a significant, long term investment in the sport. With Rabobank gone and with Vacansoleil and Radioshack going we are going to need a few more companies like that.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    It's good.

I listen to Bespoke regularly as well as the Eurosport one (ex Velocast) and Bespoke is more for your "Team GB Olympic cycling fan" with guests such as Liam Palmer, Jess Varnish, Sir Chris Hoy and Vicky Pendleton.

They have some good features such as OK Commuter and 60 second cycle that are about "just riding" and Colin Murray seems keen to learn about road racing. I was intrigued what they'd talk about once the season started, but they seem to have struck a good balance.

The Giro specific ones are really good, as has been said a little Sky centric (they keep referring to Sir Bradley Wiggins and Sir Dave Brailsford) but that's likely what the production want. Simon Brotherton is very knowledgeable, his story about visiting the Tour as a boy in 87 when Steven Roche came out of the mist is amazing.

Rob Hayles punditry has always impressed me, often more than his riding ever did, and they have a good balance. All in all, I'd say cycling is in a healthy place if the BBC are covering it day to day. Whether that's because of Sky and "Sir Bradley" or not, I don't really care, I'm just happy to see some mainstream coverage, as it means I can talk to my colleagues without them looking at me like I just defecated on the carpet.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I usually have 5Live on and haven't heard them mention the Giro much during the sports news since BW left, even though there are still other British competitors.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Have been listening a lot to the R5X coverage and its pretty good - Brotherton, as has been said already, knows his onions and Rob Hayles is a pretty good pundit once you get past his monotonous delivery! It did start a bit "Team GB", but would agree that mass-market focussed coverage is better than no coverage, and since BW's departure, the quality has been fine.
    THe other positive effect appears to be more general comment on it outside of the coverage - in contrast with Ms Tree, I've heard the day's Giro winner mentioned every day. And even better - the sports reporters are now pronouncing "giro" properly ;)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    For those that are interested in finding out what its like

Simon Clancy ‏@SiClancy 1m
    About to go to air on @BBC5LSX with commentary of the mountain time trial. @SimonBrotherton & @robhayles1 at the helm. #Giro
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Listened to their Giro preview today now I'm back in the desert and very bored...Have to say that Daniel Friebe sounded somewhat exasperated! ;)

They managed to pull a good long chat with Michele Aquarone which I have to say is pretty impressive (although obviously RCS would have jumped at the british publicity)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver