What do you do after a bike ride ?

Red-Eye
Red-Eye Posts: 20
edited May 2013 in Road general
So I just got back from a 60Km dry & warm bike ride at the weekend, open the garage door, put the bike to bed, removed the cycling shoes, thanked the bike for another great ride ;-) and closed the garage door !!

5mins later I felt guilty that I should have been fettling with the bike to keep her in tip-top condition, so she's ready for the next outing when the weather allows :oops: .

The question is what do other people do after they return from a ride, do you fettle the bike ?, give her a good clean regardless of the weather conditions ? or just put her to bed hoping that she's all ok for the next outing ?

Your opions would be greatfull as I'm fairly new to road cycling, cheers.

Comments

• lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    If my bike is dirty and it's not raining heavily I wash her and then myself.

I tend to do any fettling at random times during the evening but rarely straight after a ride unless there is a specific problem. Bikes don't seem to need that much time spent on them so I doubt I could find things to do after every ride.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    If it's my training bike then just throw it in the garage and maybe wash it once a fortnight, that's the beauty of an old training bike. Main priority after a ride is to shower, eat and then go play with my son. Other than a wash my bike rarely needs any fettling
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Unless it is wet, the bike is the lowest priority for me when I finish a ride. Often, I'd be happy to just abandon the thing and have it stolen so I don't have to ride it again.

Food and getting out of the shorts that I might have had on for 30-odd hours are very high priorities.

Sleep usually follows very soon after that.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    check strava for disappointment.

No point cleaning a bike, its only going to get dirty again.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Stretch and sleep.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Protein drink, bit of a stretch or foam rolling my ITB and quads (calves if I can stand the pain). Shower. I normally leave the bike cleaning till later or the next day, but I do pretty much clean it after every ride.
  • Eat, stretch, shower, eat, stretch, sit, eat, wash bike and bring it inside, sit, eat.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    No stretching for me, it makes me a lot stiffer. Just shower, eat, service the girlfriend if available, then upload..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:
    service the girlfriend if available

You obviously aren't training hard enough.... :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Clean the chain with WD and then coat it with 3 in 1, I'll stretch and drink half a pint of milk.
  • gryfon23
    gryfon23 Posts: 64
    If it's completely filthy then a quick hose down in winter, otherwise it's clean myself up, eat, rest a bit and maybe walk the dogs a bit later to keep things working gently.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Light up a Woodbine and have a pint of stout.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Chuck the bike in the shed, throw my clothes and myself in the wash, have a full fry up and wash it down with a protein shake and then have a cigarette.

Then sleep.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Dump bike, shower, pub. Or if I've just got back from a race, dump bike, glass of chocolate milk, shower, pub.

Maybe a poo at some point if needed.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Doesn't anyone chase their wife around the house trying to get a massive hug before jumping in the shower? And / or show off the torso?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Doesn't anyone chase their wife around the house trying to get a massive hug before jumping in the shower? And / or show off the torso?

I usually walk around in my bib shorts for a while showing off my veiny legs or if its really warm then walk around starkers whilst I cool down but I dont get a hug just a look of contempt for going off cycling in the early hours.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Eat, stretch, shower, eat, stretch, sit, eat, wash bike and bring it inside, sit, eat.

Fotgot to add: drink. Nothing cures sore legs like three or four double vodka and diet cokes!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Big sunday ride.......... swing into the gennel, Negotiate the gate, fend off the Labrador, bump head on frame of door, take helmet off, pick Oakleys up off the floor, hobble to the back door, bang on it, ask the mrs to take off my shoes, swig a protein drink, sit at computer and upload data. Grin, frown, grin, frown....... Walk upstairs like a 90yr old man, strip, shower, eat some cereals. Then return to real life, do the food shopping, eat, eat and slump.
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    Eat, stretch, shower, eat, stretch, sit, eat, wash bike and bring it inside, sit, eat.

Fotgot to add: drink. Nothing cures sore legs like three or four double vodka and diet cokes!

Except a good pint of ale.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    If it was a good ride I might congratulate myself with a bit of a 'gentleman's relaxation', or if it was a bad ride I will kick the cat.

But seriously, it depends on length & rate of effort for me & that will dictate what I do as I will have different levels of tiredness. I have been known to do a 100 miler during the day & then go into work for a night shift before & I have been fine. However, on a ride like Sunday gone, Etape Du Dales, this was ling & tough & effort rate was high. So first thing I would do is replenish with can of Coke & couple of small bags of Hula Hoops to get the sugars & salts into my system, followed by a few small tangerines to get a bit of vit c & fructose in me. Then I would shower & spray legs with very cold water before having a good stretch out, legs, neck & back. Next I apply some muscle recovery stuff called Madform. Really good stuff & I do feel it's benefit. Then have a good rest up & sup at a Frijj milkshake, or similar. After a chillout I will have a good meal & then have more rest watching telly before a good sleep.

Seems to work well for me, but it takes a while to find out what works best. Rest, stretch, eat & sleep are most important.

No animals were harmed in the making of this post & other energy drinks & milkshakes are available!
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Replenish lost calories in the pub.
  • Jurgburger
    Jurgburger Posts: 12
    Get an ice cold beer out the fridge, get in a hot shower and drink that bitch like i mean it.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i wash bike fortnightly maybe more often if have time. virtually first thing i do is load up my ride on strava and down a drink.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • wheelie-bin
    wheelie-bin Posts: 124
    Some of your bikes must be absolutely filthy! :lol:

No one give their chain a quick wipe down and re-lube at least? :roll:
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I might...

Attend whatever it is I've commuted to
    Have recovery drink/food/both if I've earned it
    Sit down and do very little of value

What I definitely won't do is clean my bike. If you can contemplate doing this then you have not worked hard enough. It isn't going to melt.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740

If I can be bothered, I'll run the chain through a rag. Periodically (depending on conditions) I'll degrease the chain and clean the bike. I don't relube very often otherwise, because it's not necessary. ;)
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457

Confusing isnt it - every single bike that has ever been sold in Classified was thoroughly cleaned and lubed after every ride :wink:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Every used bike ever sold was ridden no more than 200 miles in 3 years.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    jotko wrote:

Confusing isnt it - every single bike that has ever been sold in Classified was thoroughly cleaned and lubed after every ride :wink:

lol :D

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."