Hitting the pump track with my kid

Daz555
Daz555 Posts: 3,976
edited May 2013 in MTB general
My lad is 5 and just discovering the delights of a local pump track. I'd love to be able to rip round with him and give some tips (as I learn properly myself) but my full suss and my road bike are not really suitable for the job!

I was thinking of chucking together a cheapo bike for me to take to the pump track with him.

What sort of bike do you reckon I should go for? My first hunch was an old BMX.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I nearly hit the pump track yesterday. Literally...
  • SteveH28
    SteveH28 Posts: 44
    Should still be able to use ur full sus on it tho i imagine its harder. Either use lockout or compress the suspension on the downs to get its help on the ups.

Though i admit i havent had chance to get on a pump track yet.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I turned round in the garage the other day and nearly hit my kid with the track pump. Do I win a prize?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Daz555
    SteveH28 wrote:
    Should still be able to use ur full sus on it tho i imagine its harder. Either use lockout or compress the suspension on the downs to get its help on the ups.

Though i admit i havent had chance to get on a pump track yet.
    I've bashed round the track a fair few times on my full suss but the bike is too squishy. When I lock out the suss it just makes the bike feel far too tall over the bumps.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lockout and see how it feels, or through together an HT or rigid....I'd stick to 26" wheels though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Do you need to be able pedal any distance to get to the pump track?

If not then the ideal bike would be a jump frame with rigid forks or BMX. The main things are a short frame, steepish head angle and short travel or rigid forks.

To just learn the technique you should be fine on your full suss with the rear locked out. I used to ride the pump track at Chicksands on my longish 456. Not technically the correct bike but I could still learn the technique required.

If you want to really get into it and move onto jumping then maybe a cheap jump bike build is the way forward. There are always some bargains on CRC. I think my mate picked up a Kona jump frame for £90.
  • Daz555
    The track is really close by so the bike does not need to be practical at all - besides I'll be riding down there with a 5/6 yr old so no rush!
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    My choice would be a 24" wheel cruiser.

BMX would be my 2nd choice. My hardtail (DMR trailstar & MC1 forks) is ok on pump tracks but the wheel base little too long for it to work well.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.