headset ideas and options R hopper 29er

philipkingsnorth
philipkingsnorth Posts: 17
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
further to an earlier post regrading the fitment of tapered forks to my Rock Hopper 29er i have had a an email back from specialized.
Thank you for your email regarding your recent purchase. To fit a tapered fork all you need to do is remove the 1 1/8” reducer from the bottom of the headtube and substitute a tapered headset.
The tapered forks will then fit in the normal way.
i would like some help in options and prices so i can fit the new shox soon i think i have found the items i requre on ebay links followhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aest-Anodised-Semi-Integrated-Tapered-Bike-Headset-1-1-8-inch-1-5-inch-/110968555574?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item19d63dc836 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cane-Creek-40-Lower-Headset-Cup-Separates-Headset-Integrated-1-5-1-1-8-/221213576293?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item33815b4c65
instructions are for when you cant figure it out yourself

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Following on from the other post, Specialized have still not provided you with all the relevent infomation. You need to know the code for the headtube/headset ie xx44, IS56, ZS49/campy - as they are using some odd combined OE system is hard to say.

Saying you need a tapered headset isn't really enough to go on I am afraid. Ask them for the internal diameter of the lower part of the headtube.
  • Ok I think I will drop them another email see if I can get to the bottom of this.
    Was I correct in needing both items from ebay or am I way off.
    :?:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You will only need the lower part, but the right one and a crown race which doesn't appear to be included with the CC one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for letting me no its just the lower part I require I have mailed spesh asking what diameter I need for the bottom crown race reducer I think I have found the sort that was suggested in last reply [/url]http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281098975350[url][/url]
  • Would like if someone can point me in the direction of were I can get the cup and crown race together
    Or would it be easier to just see my local bike shop ? Would of liked to fit myself but have never done a fork change. Is this going to be particularly hard job or quite straight foward.
    thanks
  • hello again i have had a reply from specialized.
    RE regarding size info To fit a tapered fork you just need the crown race that is supplied with the headset.
    The bearing size to fit the lower cup on our frames is 52mmx7mmx45 degrees.
    well there is my answer i am a little more confused as to what it is exactly i need i thought i just needed this bottom cup but he mentions the headset again
  • supersonic
    They are confusing matter even more.

Best thing to do would be to remove you fork and photo the crown race on it, and the bottom of the headtube and bearings, then post them here. IS52 tapered is not common at all.
  • supersonic
    This may help:

problemsolversbike.com/files/tech/s.h.i.s.pdf‎

It depends how they have reduced it ie looks by using an oversize crown race with the standard bearing.