New Lid

stu100
stu100 Posts: 40
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ok I need a new MTB helmet. Which should I choose based on what I have tried?

Met Terra from Halfords for £59.99 which I can get through an offer at work for £48
Scott Groove II from my local bike shop fro £59.99
Specilaized Tactic from Evans for £55

Not buying any old lid of the internet without trying on and these are the 3 I have tried. All fit well if the Scott does fell quite tight and looks like it sits on top of my head a bit.

Does the weight make a great difference?

Thanks

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Is it the Tactic or the Tactic 2?
  • stu100
    Just called Tactic 2013
  • Kowalski675
    That's the Tactic 2 then. I went to the Specialized shop in Harrogate to buy one, but black mediums were on back order. I really liked the helmet and the fit & comfort, but just didn't want a green one (it only comes in two colours), so I bought an Align as a temporary measure (but after wearing it a few times I think I might just keep that and not bother getting the pricier Tactic 2 after all. I have a brand new boxed Tactic (not Tactic 2) that I'm gonna put in the classifieds when I get round to it (fit feels the same as the Tactic 2 to me).
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Not tried the others but I do have a Met Terra and for me it's perfect, well vented, light enough and the foam padding is comfy compared to the Bell I had before. Met has already saved me once when I came off and I headbutted a gatepost so it's proved it's worth to me. Just make sure you try them all and be 100% happy or it'll just be a waste as you'll soon want to buy a different one.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    stu100 wrote:
    Not buying any old lid of the internet without trying on and these are the 3 I have tried.
    Although I am a fan of supporting your local bike shops, online retailers do allow you to return things if they don't fit. As you now know what size you need (apart from in the Scott) this shouldn't be a problem.
    stu100 wrote:
    All fit well if the Scott does fell quite tight and looks like it sits on top of my head a bit.
    I'd say that you need a bigger size in the Scott, you don't want a helmet that feels tight, it will give you a headache.
    stu100 wrote:
    Does the weight make a great difference?
    Yes, but no decent helmets should feel very heavy.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Well the Scott doesn't fit then.

Keep trying as many helmets as you can until you find the one that feels like it isn't there, then you know you've got the right one. For me it's the 661 Recon or most Giros. (So they are obviously a very similar shell size and shape).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • stu100
    Ok thanks for the advice all.
    Went to Evans and didn't have a Tactic £55my size to try but tried the Align £30 and must admit quite liked the fit and didn't look massive on my bonce. The Terra is now £48 at Halfords that I can get for £40. Should I be swayed by price thinking that I should be paying more for a decent lid than £30? i.e get the Terra for £40 when its a £60 helmet.
    Also the Align is 330g and the Terra 260g , make much difference that is noticeable?
  • Kowalski675
    I don't notice my Align when I'm wearing it, feels like it weighs nothing (I have spent the last 20 years wearing full face motorbike helmets though - well, not the whole 20 years, only when I'm on a bike, lol). A £60 helmet won't be any safer than a decent £30 helmet, it'll just have more features (adjustable peak or adjustable cradle height, for example) or better venting, fancier paint etc. Either will protect your head as well, subject to proper fit. I find conventional straps a real hassle, so I love the Trifix straps on my Align - those and the fit sold it to me (and it certainly doesn't look cheap).