Felt v Giant

richie1973
richie1973 Posts: 99
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Please help peeps,
I have been looking for a full suss (my first) for some time now. I have managed to narrow it down to the following two, please could you people out there with all your experience give advice on wich?
many thanks.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p350 ... CE-X2-2011

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-virtue-pro-2012/

So many nice full carbon bikes also but i am far too worried about damage/scuffs ect.

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    My son has a 2013 Giant Trance X2, he loves it. Note the Trance is Alu at £1500 and the Felt is carbon at £1890 quite a bit more.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I take it you're not going to demo any of them so you are basing your choice purely on the spec?

If so the Felt looks to have a better spec with mostly XT bits while the Giant has mostly SLX components. But its not really a fair comparison as the Felt costs a few £100 more. Is there a Trance X1 on that site? I imagine that would be comparable to the Felt you have linked too.

You'll probably get more responses for the Giant as its a much more popular bike, I've not seen many Felts on the trails.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Only the rear triangle is carbon on the Felt, the frame is alu
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    That Giant is good value and a cracking machine. The Trance is a tried and tested very highly regarded bike. It always reviews well and rides excellently. There seems to be a consensus that it is far more capable than your average 120/125mm bike.

Can't comment of the Felt, and it may be a better deal. But you won't go to far wrong with the Giant.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have a Trance and love it, you wont go wrong with one.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My son has a 2013 Giant Trance X2, he loves it.

I was sat on a 2013 Tance X2 today in my local shop. It looks lush in the GSXR-like white, blue and black paintjob and I wants it wants it wants it. Now now now. But with wider bars.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

I was sat on a 2013 Tance X2 today in my local shop. It looks lush in the GSXR-like white, blue and black paintjob and I wants it wants it wants it. Now now now. But with wider bars.

Save yourself 300 quid and get the 2011 or 2012 X2 from Paul's cycles. That will pay for the wider bars and dropper post!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

Save yourself 300 quid and get the 2011 or 2012 X2 from Paul's cycles. That will pay for the wider bars and dropper post!

The 2012 wouldn't be an option (they don't have medium). The 2012 is £300 cheaper than the 2013, but (while it does still look damn good) it doesn't look as lush as the 2013 and for a cash sale (rather than finance) I reckon the 2013 could be had for around the same price and comes with Shimano brakes rather than Elixirs (which nobody seems to ever have anything good to say about). I don't know enough about the ins and outs of Fox nomenclature to compare the suspension spec between the two.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Feel free to post up some links to the two specs. I'm sure one of us can help you understand difference between the two suspensions