Big bikes look worse

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
You can get pretty much any bike, high end or low end, and in larger sizes they always look out of proportion.

That's why all the marketing shots are of the size where everything looks best, for instance, if say, Colnago did a brochure full of all the largest sizes, everybody would think they looked crap.

This is a fact.

Shame really, cos lanky people can spend as much as they like on a bike that will always look worse than one in a medium/ just under medium size, sort of like this... (but not like this at all)

tall+bike.jpg

At least lanky people can have the same choice of good looking cars as everyone else eh.

Can close the thread now :)

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    This is why I have ended up with bike too small for me, at 6"1 ok not massive, but in mtb's I always had to buy 17 or 18", just didn't want a 19" or 20" cos they looked crap. Now older and wiser I don't care so much :)

My dream bike in the pic below, always looked better in the small than large

8420277830_b1b453dc78_b_d.jpg

IMG_3126.JPG
  • OP... that's not a bike for big people, that's one of the bikes for next year's Giro. It's being used so they won't have to cancel bits of stage due to deep snow.
    saprkzz wrote:
    My dream bike in the pic below, always looked better in the small than large
    Is that because it says "small" on it? Would you consider riding a Giant?
    Mangeur
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Everything in moderation. Small bikes have too short head tubes, large bikes too tall head tubes. Middle looks right. In classic steel, I found that 23.5 inch was a better fit than 24.5/25 inch. This was a relief both in terms of comfort and that my old bikes are in the best looking size (though 22.5 is pretty good too!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I concur although I think really small likes look cr*p too. Everything just too squidged up and proportions all wrong.

Maybe there's a market for completely proportioned sized bikes. Just think, it's a marketeers dream with different sized components and wheels all needing to be stocked by the bike shop.
  • morstar wrote:
    Maybe there's a market for completely proportioned sized bikes. Just think, it's a marketeers dream with different sized components and wheels all needing to be stocked by the bike shop.
    See mountain biking for details.
    Mangeur
  • mfin
    Here's an example, an R3

54 (or 56) looks about right (even despite it having some shimano on it)
    1p81mo.jpg

58 looks rubbish
    IMG_0319.jpg

61 oh dear (dont think they bothered to put wheels in this one as it would look even more out of proportion)
    p4pb8826506.jpg

The other thing is these bikes can't be alike to ride, (although no one person would ever know) as the tubes get longer and the joins stay the same surely. Maybe reviews on large bikes should surely be done separately, perhaps attention would be paid to a good blog reviewing larger frames, I dunno?

...down the other end of the scale 51cm, looks wrong too
    cervello-002_e_325efb05050708d9982c193928716501.jpg

Only saying that bikes only look good enough in certain sizes for marketing shots
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    This looks amazing in a small size:

mark-cavendish-specialized-venge-1-620x412.jpg

Giant TCRs don't look too bad in the larger sizes. I think it's due to the fancy headtube design instead of Cervelos' standard tube.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1
    This looks amazing in a small size:

mark-cavendish-specialized-venge-1-620x412.jpg

Giant TCRs don't look too bad in the larger sizes. I think it's due to the fancy headtube design instead of Cervelos' standard tube.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mfin wrote:
    You can get pretty much any bike, high end or low end, and in larger sizes they always look out of proportion.

That's why all the marketing shots are of the size where everything looks best, for instance, if say, Colnago did a brochure full of all the largest sizes, everybody would think they looked crap.

This is a fact.

Shame really, cos lanky people can spend as much as they like on a bike that will always look worse than one in a medium/ just under medium size, sort of like this... (but not like this at all)

tall+bike.jpg

At least lanky people can have the same choice of good looking cars as everyone else eh.

Can close the thread now :)

Utter bollox. I'm 6'2", put me on a 54 frame and that looks out of proportion.
    You do talk some sh1t sometimes. :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Big bikes best - that Venge looks like it's got a set of giant wheels - black with a bit of green is horrid too - something about 58-60cm with a flashy (loud) paint job wins every time.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • declan1
    Big bikes best - that Venge looks like it's got a set of giant wheels - black with a bit of green is horrid too - something about 58-60cm with a flashy (loud) paint job wins every time.

It's the bike Specialized gave to Cav for 100 career wins. I think it's beautiful (if you can find some close-up pictures it has a metallic paint)!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• mfin
    MattC59 wrote:
    Utter bollox. I'm 6'2", put me on a 54 frame and that looks out of proportion.
    You do talk some sh1t sometimes. :wink:

Wasn't talking about people riding undersized bikes, just what the bikes look like on their own in marketing shots.

(Thanks though, cos I pride myself on talking sh1t, I think I'm rather good at it! :) )
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    declan1 wrote:

It's the bike Specialized gave to Cav for 100 career wins. I think it's beautiful (if you can find some close-up pictures it has a metallic paint)!

I know it is - horrible - its the cycling equivalent of a footballer's Bentley.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    declan1 wrote:

Funnily enough, I looked at that pic and thought "that looks like it fits Cav"!! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......