Ribble R872 and Planet X Pro Carbon

ddarkeh
ddarkeh Posts: 25
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I'm about a purchase a new bike and narrowed it down to 2, The Ribble R872 and the Pro Carbon from Planet X. I've decided between these two as they are similar priced and both have the racier geometry that i'm looking for, If I go for the Ribble it will be with the 105 groupset and if I go for the Pro Carbon i'll keep the SRAM rival (my preference is the SRAM set if I could fit these on the ribble bike I would).

My concern with the pro carbon is there's not alot of information about the actualy frame other than marketing words on how it to can do everything and is pro tour proven (is it?), where as Ribble tell you it's from High Modulus T800 Carbon I've heard however riding out of the seat and sprinting things get a bit lively? Assuming everything else (wheels ect) is identical and me rocking at 6ft 2.5 with a 34 inch inseam and currently 95kg but cut to 88kg which frame should I be looking at? Thanks in advance

Comments

• bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I cannot help you decide between the 2 frames. I have the pro and it really is a lovely bike to ride. Not at all harsh. I have had a bike fit so appreciate this will have had a huge impact on comfort but it really is very comfortable for me on rides up to 80 miles. Its fast to accelerate even with me turning the pedals (i have 24mm rs 80's and Rubino pros most of the time) and helped me cope in the Alps last year especially up the Col D'Iseran. My frame is pretty scratched because scrotes have twice tried to steal the bike by beaking through the dlocks. Its the only reason why i contemplate sometimes replacing the frame say with the 872 but i always worry that i wont find a more comfortable rewarding ride. I might have to get another slpro frame!
    Hope this helps in some way.
  • ddarkeh
    Thanks Bobinski, sounds like you love the pro, i'm surprised though that there isn't many direct comparisons about both frames especially from the journalists. I like the SRAM groupset might head over to planet x's showroom this weekend and have a look.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    ddarkeh wrote:
    Thanks Bobinski, sounds like you love the pro, i'm surprised though that there isn't many direct comparisons about both frames especially from the journalists. I like the SRAM groupset might head over to planet x's showroom this weekend and have a look.

AS you say, head over to PX and try it out. I did and ended up with a pro.
    Insert bike here:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The Pro Carbon is an old frame now isn't it? Been around for years - was raced at a high domestic level back in the day. Lots of stories about it being not that stiff, especially at the front end, leading to some nervous moments descending. Could be an issue at 95kg. Always seemed like a lot of bang for your buck to me though, and a nice bike to ride as bobinski says. Is the Ribble the one that used to be the Stealth? If so, its a newer frame with more modern features (tapered steerer? BB30 compatible etc) and looks more expensive than it is in the flesh. I would expect it to be a bit more expensive than the Pro Carbon? To be honest I would have thought one of the newer models from Planet X would be a fairer comparison.
  • ddarkeh
    Thanks guys, yeah the ribble one is the stealth till they had to rename it R872 due to copyright issues. Price wise there's not much in it £399 for the planet x carbon frame and £463 for the R872 if you buy online, but I think your right with the ribble frame being newer. Dammit now I may have to plan a trip to preston.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    R872 made it into the cycing plus top 10 iirc, no planet x in there at all. review on the BR site.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... d-2-36592/
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... d-13-47067
  • ddarkeh
    Having gone to p x at Sheffield and looked at the frames I can only agree with you BigMat that the pro carbon is a bit oldhat now, in light of this it's between the RT-57 and the R872, i've specced both up and come up with the below, the RT-57 comes in at £100 more expensive but this is due to choosing the SLK carbon chainset after speaking to the guys in the showroom. So what are your thoughts on the below spec and any alternatives worth considering at £1200 - £1300 mark?

R872 - £1200

Frame
    Ribble R872 Carbon Road Frame
    Groupset
    Shimano 105 (5700) Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
    Wheels
    Rodi Airline Evo Clinchers Wheels Pair Black 8/9/10 Shim
    Handlebars
    Deda RHM 01 Bars Black 44cm
    Handlebar Stem
    Deda Zero 1 Stem Black 100mm
    Headset Spacers
    ITM Headset Spacer Carbon 1 1/8" 10mm
    Saddle
    Selle Italia X1 Man Saddle Black
    Seatpillar
    Deda RSX 01 Seatpillar Black 31.6 350mm
    Tyres
    Continental Ultra Sport Rigid Tyre 700x23mm Black/Black
    Handlebar Tape
    Deda Cork Ribbon Handlebar Tape Black

RT-57 - £1290

Frame
    Planet X RT-57 Carbon Road Frame And Fork / Medium 540 / Matt Black with Red / Road / 700c
    Handlebar Tape
    Planet X Cork Handlebar Tape / White
    Groupset
    FSA Gossamer Pro Brakeset / Black
    SRAM PG 1050 Cassette / 10 Speed / 11-28T
    FSA Team Issue 10 Speed Chain / 114 Links
    FSA SL-K Light BB386 EVO Carbon Chainset / 175mm / 50-34T / Black
    SRAM Rival Front Mech / Band On 34.9mm / Double
    SRAM Rival Rear Mech / Road / Mid Cage
    SRAM Rival Double Tap Shifters 10 Speed / Pair / Black
    Handlebars
    FSA Gossamer Compact Road Handlebar / Anodized Black / 42cm
    Saddle
    Selle Italia SLK Man Special Edition Saddle / Manganese Rails / White
    Seatpost
    FSA Gossamer Seatpost / Black / 31.6mm
    Handlebars Stem
    Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Stem 120 mm / Polished Black / 6 degrees / 31.8 mm Clamp
    Tyres
    Vittoria Zaffiro Slick Wired Tyre / 700c / Black and Red / 23mm
    Wheelset
    Planet X AL30 Wheelset / 700c / White / 20/24 / Shimano
  • mpie
    mpie Posts: 81
    Seems odd, but you're 6'2" and going for a PX medium frame? Did you ride it? I know some people go down a size in frames to get the shorter headtube, but then they compensate (at some extent) with a longer stem. What size of R872 are you contemplating?
  • brimmers
    brimmers Posts: 47
    I was in the Ribble warehouse collecting some shoes a couple of days ago. They had a 872 built up with 50mm carbon Mavic wheels and Di2. It looks twice as nice in the flesh as it does in any photo I have seen. Defo worth a trip to see it before making any sort of choice.
  • ddarkeh
    Yeah got the sizing wrong I was measured at a extra large frame, and a 120 stem and 44cm bars and a 175crank

And in a ribble it would be a 54.5cm centre to top but I haven't been there but that's the suggested size on my height and inseam
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Either look great.
    Why go with the fsa brakes? Will they be as good?
  • ddarkeh
    My understanging is you don't get the option to fit Rival brakes when speccing RT-57 I guess it's a way to save some money for them.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm XL on a Pro Carbon - also 6'2", so XL should be right for you.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    What did you buy in the end? Facing a similar dilemma myself so interested to know how the build went and what the bike is like to ride.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • Why not just buy the frame and build up the bike yourself? By doing that you will be able to choose your own parts and have a much bigger interest in your final machine. Providing you don't go too exotic, I'm almost sure, if you shop around, the build price will not be too far from that of the Planet X total bike deal. You may even get better components.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Why not just buy the frame and build up the bike yourself? By doing that you will be able to choose your own parts and have a much bigger interest in your final machine. Providing you don't go too exotic, I'm almost sure, if you shop around, the build price will not be too far from that of the Planet X total bike deal. You may even get better components.

Hi Kangarouge. Not sure if aimed at me but that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Components are being accumulated as we speak.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • can you show mw what where you bought the components ? im am also thninking about getting the ribbler872 :)