Race Tyres

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, looking for some advice on fast tyres for XC and endurance racing. I want something fast rolling and light, but not at the expense of being fragile or losing too much grip. Need to be UST also or can be run tubeless.

I'm thinking something like Conti Race Kings, but open to suggestions for fast rolling with a decent amount of grip.

Thanks
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The tyres you suggest, but with Racesport 'black chilli' compound.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    For a bit more grip have a look at the X-King. Half way between the Race King and the Mountain King.

I'm not a racer so prefer grip to rolling resistance but I was really impressed with these tyres. Roll very well and have lots of grip too. I was riding them pretty hard and they only started to let go in loose loamy conditions where the small depth knobs could quite cope.

I have them in the Racesport versions which run fine in UST rims. Slight faff to get the bead to seat as they where a little loose, so had to use a tube to get one side to sit but after that they went up in seconds. The side wall is a little porous but a bit more sealant and pumping the tyres up after the first ride and they seem to be fine now and they are on sale at wiggle at the moment.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Racing Ralph or Rocket Rons are good.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    A LOT of people use Schwalbe tyres, Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs (or NN front, RR rear) from what I see.
  • njee20
    I'm not a massive fan of Nobby Nics, they're slower and heavier than Ralphs, but don't work much better in the wet. If it's too wet for a Ralph I'd tend to switch to a Dan or similar anyway.
  • Greer_
    I've never used a Ralph on the front ... just didn't like the look of it as a front tyre for grip. Wouldn't have a problem putting a ralph on if it was dry, but it very rarely is! I've used that combo all year round without any major problems. Would you generally just use Ralphs then?
  • njee20
    I generally use Rons or Ralphs depending on where I'm riding.
  • Greer_
    Evo front and rear? What would you pick if there was mud here and there?
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I'll take a look at the X-Kings, but I think I'm heading towards the Race Kings in black chili compound as Supersonic suggests. Maybe a Race King on the back and X-King up front or something else with a bit more bite?

I'm not a fan of Schwalbe tyres. That might be unfair as I got put off by some Nobby Nics a couple of years ago that I just couldn't get on with. The front was good at first, but then quickly went off and gave me no confidence whatsoever and I ended up binning them. I see a lot of people using Ralphs though and they seem happy so maybe I should give them a go.

Btw, hHas anybody got experience of Hutchinson Cobras? My Lapierre came with a Cobra on the back and a Cougar up front, both of which are light and gave decent grip in dry conditions. I don't know what they're like in the wet or when it's changeable though.

Cheers
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)