New Purchase Help

ribuck
ribuck Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Hi All,

New to forum, and the world of bikes in general so couldn't tell you the different between a bottom bracket and a crank shaft what ever those are, so please be gentle :oops:

Anyway, i've got around £500-600 budget and i'm looking for a new hybrid / commuter bike, as i've convinced myself that i'm going to try and get fit.

I currently have an older full suspension mountain bike, which i've never liked as i feel like a clown on a toy bike bobbing up and down getting nowhere fast, so thought it's time for a change.

I will use the bike on a mix of road and pretty flat gravel bridal / tow paths and would like to hear your recommendations.

Currently i'm looking at 2 options :-

Option 1:- Boardman Hybrid Comp - Love the look of the bike, but would need to change the tyres and not sure if i need suspension for the bridal paths. ( http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_comp.html )

Option 2:- Boardman MX Race - Maybe a better choice, due to suspension and chunkier tyres. I know the suspension can lock out so better for the roads. ( http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_mx_race.html )

Would love to hear peoples views/ feedback on these bike and any other bike suggestions that are classed as Hybrids as i don't want to start a war between MTB / Roadies.....lol.

Rich.

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My Boardman Hybrid is better suited to roads than gravel tracks to be honest. It's pretty much a road bike with flat handlebars and slightly thicker tyres. I would say that if a good proportion of your regular journey is gravel then the MX or something else which is a bit more Mountain Bike. If it is mostly road then the Hybrid will fare just fine, albeit change the tyres for some Gatorskins or Marathon Plus.
  • ribuck
    ribuck Posts: 3
    Ok after a lot of thought i've decided that i basically want a road bike with flat bars and chunkier tyres, i.e. not slicks so welcome any recommendations.

Currently leaning towards the Boardman Hybrid Comp and just changing the tyres.
  • beduffrich
    beduffrich Posts: 61
    I've currently got a Boardman Team Hybrid for sale that's only done 314 miles. It's within your budget and is a higher spec bike than the comp. Feel free to give me a pm if you are interested.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardman hybrids won't take much chunkier tyres before they foul the chainstays, 32 is about the limit.

Trek 7.2FX perhaps, that will take wider tyres, or consider the Voodoo Marassa which has 2" tyres already!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.