Naive question re:tyres

AllanES
AllanES Posts: 151
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Simply............. can I have 700 x 23c tyre on the front and 700 x 25c on the back?
Red Triban 3
Giant Defy 1

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You can mix them up however you like!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    AllanES wrote:
    Simply............. can I have 700 x 23c tyre on the front and 700 x 25c on the back?

yes.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    You might wish to try it the other way round too, I sometimes run a slightly bigger tyre up front for better grip and comfort.
  • AllanES
    You might wish to try it the other way round too, I sometimes run a slightly bigger tyre up front for better grip and comfort.

Thanks.
    I'll give it a go.
    Currently running both 23's but going to replace one (punctured 3 times now) & fancy trying a 25 for comfort. Just wondered if it was advisable to buy & change in pairs
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    AllanES wrote:

Thanks.
    I'll give it a go.
    Currently running both 23's but going to replace one (punctured 3 times now) & fancy trying a 25 for comfort. Just wondered if it was advisable to buy & change in pairs

The rear wears at about double the rate of the front, therefore I'd put your new one on the front (as thats where you need the better grip) and wear down your old one on the rear until it needs replacing.

25's are a sensible option for most road bikes on UK roads. I'd even argue that 28s make even more sense but they won't fit on many frames.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i currently run 23 front and 25 at the back and i like it, certainly way better than 23 on both.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • AllanES
    ianbar wrote:
    i currently run 23 front and 25 at the back and i like it, certainly way better than 23 on both.

Thanks. I'm going to give it a go.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1