Devon Coast to Coast

whoof
whoof Posts: 756
edited May 2013 in Tour & expedition
Thought that I'd give some info on the Devon Coast to Coast route no 27.
I would only use touring, cyclocross or mountain bike for this ride some section are gravelly, muddy or downright rocky.
Started in Barnstaple (as the most convenient train Station). Stayed at the Royal and Fortiscue Hotel which was good value and had bike parking and right on the trail. After Torrington the tarmac stops and there are sections on gravel road. The ride upto Petrockstow was flat. We missed the turning and when to Meeth and then Hatherleigh on the quiet main A386. Petrockstow to Okehampton lumpy all the way where the YHA Goods Shed it a good option, try the cake at the station platform cafe next door and buy food for cooking in Okehampton first and then ride up to the YHA.
The section to Plymouth has some reasonable hills (near Lydford and North Brentor) and rough sections.

On some sections it's easy to miss the signs so take a map. Near Peter/Mary Tavy the choice seems to be a rocky footpath or a BMX track and field. We chose the A386 into Tavistock. Some short (few 100 metres) rough sections on the 'Drakes Way' part would have been tough riding on a mountain bike. Nice ride down the banks of the Plym into Plymouth. Total about 85 miles but due to lumpy hills and gravel tracks makes an nice two day trip of a pretty hard single day.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent account. Have done braunton to Torrington many times and the granite way and the Plym valley trail but not the whole thing in one go. I got the impression that the bits I haven't done are not suitable for a roadie! I thought it was nearer 100 than 85 though... Aah just realised you didn't do ilfracombe so about right