29er XC FS weights

WhipIt
WhipIt Posts: 52
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
A bit of idle chat about some bikes I like the look of, if you're interested... XC FS 29ers

Giant Anthem X 29er 1 - £2k, 12.2kg measured by WMB
Lapierre XR 529 - £2.7k, 11.5kg claimed, maybe closer to 12
Canyon Nerve AL 9.9 - £2.3k, 12kg claimed, 12.3kg (I think) measured by WMB.

The Lapierre is very light thanks to 500~600g saving on the frame. The Canyon has a ridiculous spec as always and claims a respectable 2.65kg frame weight. The wheelset in particular is very light.

Why, then, is the Canyon relatively heavy? Is it just the extra 10mm travel? With pretty top end kit on it, it seems like the upgrade potential is limited. Put some crest/hope jobbies on the other two, though, and they'll end up very light - for the same money as the Canyon, I think I could get the Giant <12kg. The Lapierre is very expensive, but has the maximum upgrade potential (<11kg if you believe their claimed all-in weight and have deep pockets).

So the Giant is looking very good. Does anyone know the frame weight for the Giant? Has anyone ridden one or more of these bikes and have an opinion on the ride vs each other?

As a total aside, I assume the Giant is on a QR rear - there's no mention of anything bigger in marketing/reviews.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Wheelset on the Canyon isn't that light - 1700g claimed, quite probably more than that. Even for 29ers that's not what I'd call lightweight frankly.

There's nothing on it that's hugely heavy, but nothing that's light either.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    What are you planning to use the bike for?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • WhipIt
    For trail riding and occasional XC races/events. I ride an on-one whippet on a fairly light build for everything at the moment, so this would hopefully be a bit stiffer and more confident on steep descents. The biggest stuff I ride is natural stuff in the Peaks/Wales.
  • WhipIt
    I get a bit obsessive over speed/weight regardless of where I'm riding though, you may have guessed...
  • thelonegroover
    I guessed from your profile name. If your so obsessed by weights, why go for a FS, wouldn't you be better going for an HT. You could save yourself 2kg and some money.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd be tempted by a custom build for that cash. Something like this frame:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITXCARRS ... arch_shock

Some super light wheels, and finish off with top end kit. OK is not a 29er, but I bet can be got close to 10kg for 2.5k.
  • WhipIt
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to keep the Whippet so I have a 26" carbon HT already for smooth stuff/winter rides/etc. I used to have a cheap XC FS and I miss being able to keep consistent power delivery over rougher trails without unweighting, standing etc.

The 26" FS looks good, although I had my heart set on a 29er so it's sufficiently different to the whippet. Also I'm hoping the bigger wheels will improve my confidence on descents (not my strong suit) without adding too much weight. The titus carbon 29er is another option but about the same weight as an alloy frame, so probably doesn't beat the giant/canyon on a full build.
  • thelonegroover
    Cube carbon 29er can be as low as 9.1kg. Lapierre pro race is 9.4kg I'd like to see a full sus 26 or 29 get down to those weights.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The lightest FS frames will add about 1Kg over the lightest HT's.

The lads half carbon Scott frame with shock is 2.25Kg (2008 technology), using the bits off my HT with lighter wheels (1300g instead of my 1700g set) and tyres (racing Ralphs) only that would be built into a circa 10Kg bike, with not that much more money about 9.75Kg would be possible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Lapierre pro race is 9.4kg I'd like to see a full sus 26 or 29 get down to those weights.

My Top Fuel:
    5797450312_e8db65f5a6_z.jpg

5797448280_00065dfd90_m.jpg

That's 8.99kg in new money. Got down to 19.7lbs with Furious Freds. There are 29ers at similar weights if you spend enough!
  • thelonegroover
    OK, thats impresive. Guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    Pretty much. Still places I could save weight if I really wanted. I did actually have a lighter seat post, would've saved about 60g IIRC, but I got offered a chunk more than I paid for it (which in itself was a lot!), so sold it.

Brakes aren't that lightest, XX cassette would be lighter, DT XRC100 or SID WCs would be lighter. I like it though.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    njee20 wrote:
    My Top Fuel:
    5797450312_e8db65f5a6_z.jpg

njee, do you have any build threads on here?! :shock: Lovely looking bike, and I'm sure its not your only!
  • thelonegroover
    Is this a 26 or 29?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    Yeah it is a 26", was just in response to your comment:
    I'd like to see a full sus 26 or 29 get down to those weights.
    njee, do you have any build threads on here?! :shock: Lovely looking bike, and I'm sure its not your only!

It is actually my only MTB, did have a thread on it here, don't update it though. Perhaps I should, make a couple of changes since those pics, albeit nowt major.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    njee20 wrote:
    It is actually my only MTB, did have a thread on it here, don't update it though. Perhaps I should, make a couple of changes since those pics, albeit nowt major.

Resurrected :wink: