La Lanterne Rouge ----or the Italian equivalent

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Is the celebration of the last man in the race peculiar to the Tour and the French?

I've not heard any mention of this hero throughout the Giro.

What is the Italian equivalent?

For the record the last man is

180 Mattia Gavazzi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 3:51:38
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    They should defo bring back the maglia nera,

That would be a great battle to finish last and calculate just finishing inside the HD cut off.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I see that Gavazzi was DQ'd today.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

For the record the last man is

180 Mattia Gavazzi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 3:51:38

Alas, not any more. Disqualified today for hanging on to a car up the climb. Naughty boy - going faster than you need to is not in the spirit of the maglia nera!

169 Adam Blythe (GBr) BMC Racing Team 3:44:54
    170 Miguel Minguez Ayala (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 3:45:39
    171 Davide Appollonio (Ita) Ag2R La Mondiale 3:46:23
    172 Rafael Andriato (Bra) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia 3:47:36
    173 Edwin Alcibiades Avila Vanegas (Col) Colombia 3:48:27

Interesting battle shaping up now. The two South Americans are in prime position, but Minguez was last place in last year's Giro and is poised to strike again. Or could Blythe snatch the honour and take more glory for the Brits at this year's race?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Wasn't Mr Pinerello a regular winner of this.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    164 Edwin Alcibiades Avila Vanegas (Col) Colombia 4:17:09
    165 Rafael Andriato (Bra) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia 4:23:12
    166 Miguel Minguez Ayala (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 4:23:16
    167 Adam Blythe (GBr) BMC Racing Team 4:27:03
    168 Davide Appollonio (Ita) Ag2R La Mondiale 4:28:36

Appollonio looks to have it wrapped up, with Blythe and honourable 2nd. I'm assuming it's not on to attack the Maglia Nera on the last stage...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    rubertoe wrote:
    They should defo bring back the maglia nera,

That would be a great battle to finish last and calculate just finishing inside the HD cut off.
    There is an amateur stage race on Sardinia in April – great training camp week for gran fondo riders btw – that has a maglia nera competition and there's always a bunch of dawdling riders trying to win it. However these guys once showed me they can ride fast if they want to, when the commisaire's car took us the wrong way out of town at a stage start and guided the peloton into a marble quarry. We all had to do an about turn, so that the top fondo riders who were on the front were suddenly right at the back, and we had the opportunity to do a charge out of town at full pelt causing them to panic, thinking someone important on GC was up the road. Took them 15 minutes to get up to the front and take control, at which point I was able to slip away in a break – the only time I managed that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Final podium:
    166 Miguel Minguez Ayala (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 4:24:54
    167 Adam Blythe (GBr) BMC Racing Team 4:28:23
    168 Davide Appollonio (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 4:28:36

Good showing from Blythe, 13 seconds is nothing in three weeks of losing time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Blythe was in the Nera going up Tre Cime. He commented on twitter about being disappointed at being last, several comments that he should be proud.

Closely "fought" race in the end, splits in the peloton in brescia didn't quite do eough for Adam.