Sleepy after ride

michael_roadie
michael_roadie Posts: 84
edited May 2013 in Road general
I've been cycling about 6 months now, on Sundays I usually do a 50 mile ride and feel ok when I get back, however when I do longer rides e.g. 70 miles I get back feeling ok again - but after an hour or two I feel incredibly sleepy. Sometimes I actually have to go to bed and catch a few winks. Short of drinking coffee when I get back (and I don't think that would help as I think I tried it once without much success) does anyone have any ideas why this happens (I can understand feeling tired but not sleepy tired) and suggestions of what to do?

Comments

• Tom_UK
    Tom_UK Posts: 171
    I get this to, I generally find its if I sit around to long after a ride so I just make sure I get up and start doing things after a hour or so. But if I do have time a hour nap isnt a bad thing and definetly makes me feel better after.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Just a quick battery recharge fella don't fear it..
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Naps are very enjoyable and an efficient way of sleeping. I never grew out of having an afternoon nap when I was a toddler and that was a very long time ago. I have always found that my natural sleeping pattern is 1-2 hours in the afternoon and 4-5 at night ie about 6 hours a day. Doing vigorous exercise like cycling definitely makes me feel more sleepy but that seems to me to be a perfectly normal response and exactly what I would expect.

Just give in to it.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    I get this too. Seems pretty natural after emptying the tanks cycling you'll need to recharge.

I fight it off though and just get an early night instead.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    edited May 2013
    Do you eat within the hour of you getting home? Today I did 133km and was hooped when I got in. I refueled as soon as I had a shower. Plenty of protein and some carbs. Still feel a bit tired but if you put food in your body can repair quicker.

Also had 3/4 of a bottle of wine so I think I will sleep well tonight. Glad I am not at work in the morning.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Its one of the reasons I prefer riding on saturdays, I put it down to not getting my reular lay ins on the weekend as I get an early night on the eve of the ride and then wake up early for the ride when usually I'd get up around 9 or 10.

Then banging out 50-100miles and getting back home, your body will naturally want to switch off for a while. I may try and shut eye for a few hours and then have an early night which is usually enough. Always keep yourself fuelled up though very important.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I had this the first few 50 milers,now I can do a 50 and feel ok.Think my body is used to this distance,though my max is 56 miles.I think when I push it up again I,ll want a nap again until I,ve done enough bigger rides to cope easier.
    Op dont worry seems a natural thing to do.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Ok thanks guys.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Cytokines are released during long exercise sessions, but not during short ones, and causes sleepiness. These cytokines are also released during illness eg a cold, which is why people feel sleepy when they are sick. It's normal.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I did 60 miles yesterday and was shattered, I still feel sleepy now! At least I'm at work so can rest ;)
  • goonz
    I did 60 miles yesterday and was shattered, I still feel sleepy now! At least I'm at work so can rest ;)

Ha! :lol:

Another thing that can help I recommend to all but no one seems to want to try it (not sure why) are ice baths...
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    goonz wrote:

Another thing that can help I recommend to all but no one seems to want to try it (not sure why) are ice baths...
    What, so given a choice between having a lovely relaxing nap in the afternoon or plunging themselves into a bath full of ice people choose the nap? Who would have thought it :D .

I have never had an ice bath and, while I don't doubt their invigorating properties, that is the way I indeed to keep it.

Out of interest, where do you get all the ice from?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Hard/long ride - protein - settee - 20 min power nap

Standard
  • goonz
    lotus49 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

What, so given a choice between having a lovely relaxing nap in the afternoon or plunging themselves into a bath full of ice people choose the nap? Who would have thought it :D .

I have never had an ice bath and, while I don't doubt their invigorating properties, that is the way I indeed to keep it.

Frozen section in a supermarket or whatevers in the freezer with as cold water as I can manage from the taps.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    goonz wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Frozen section in a supermarket or whatevers in the freezer with as cold water as I can manage from the taps.

Not sure your local Tesco is going to be happy with you jumping in the freezer section with a bag of frozen sprouts betwixt your bum cheeks.