Big helmets for a big noggin

MynciBoots
MynciBoots Posts: 15
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
I've got a big noggin (61-62cm), so been looking for a big helmet! Seen the Specialized Max for £30, does anybody know if it's any good?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go to a shop and try one on. Helmets need to fit. Heads are different shapes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    MynciBoots wrote:
    I've got a big noggin (61-62cm), so been looking for a big helmet! Seen the Specialized Max for £30, does anybody know if it's any good?

It's the larger version of the Align (otherwise identical). I bought an Align recently and for £30 I'm impressed - fits (me) spot on, comfortable, great strap design and (IMO) looks good. I barely notice I'm wearing it and it's backed up with the half price crash replacement scheme.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    62cm here and the L/XL Fox Flux and Giro Xen/Xar/Feature fit comfortably. L/XL Urge Enduromatic = epic fail.

As above heads and helmets are all different shapes best to try a few on and make sure as much of the helmet as possible is in contact with your head. Don't be misled by the retention system it's just a piece of plastic.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    What blitz said.
    And remember that heads are different shapes (as well as sizes).
    I can only wear Giro helmets for my melon-sized head. (I have a Giro Hex.)
    The Fox Flux didn't work for me at all. (I could feel my brains oozing through the vents on the Urge it was that tight.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Kowalski675
    .blitz wrote:
    Don't be misled by the retention system it's just a piece of plastic.

If that's in reference to my comment about the strap design then I didn't mean the retention system, I meant the straps.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Nope sorry I didn't read your post tbh :)

Just wanted to point out that the retention system/cradle may seem comfortable in the shop but if you can still get your fingers between the helmet and your head it's no good.
  • if its any help the bell xlv is around the price you mention i too have a large cranium and have found that for a large round head shape this has been perfect. you can try it out in halfrauds and see what you think and will not cost you a peny to try
    instructions are for when you cant figure it out yourself
  • Kowalski675
    .blitz wrote:
    Nope sorry I didn't read your post tbh :)

Just wanted to point out that the retention system/cradle may seem comfortable in the shop but if you can still get your fingers between the helmet and your head it's no good.

Furry muff. Thought maybe you'd misinterpreted my post - it's the Trifix straps I was meaning, I think they're a big improvement on conventional straps.