The Rolls Royce of road bikes?

Lordofknutsford
Lordofknutsford Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in Road general
I'm relatively new to road cycling and as such, am just starting to notice other people's bikes with a lusty eye...
As Ferrari is to sports cars and Ducati is to motorcycles. What make of road bike has that magical pull that makes grown men spend way more than they can afford?

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Everybody is different - as with cars, for that matter. For me it is custom built, lugged steel frames from one if the great makers. I have a Pegoretti and a bespoke tourer from Enigma.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'm saving up for a Scapin - simply gorgeous finish on them and pics dont do them justice
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm relatively new to road cycling and as such, am just starting to notice other people's bikes with a lusty eye...
    As Ferrari is to sports cars and Ducati is to motorcycles. What make of road bike has that magical pull that makes grown men spend way more than they can afford?

I would suggest there isn't really, each has their own idea of what is best, and the majority of manufacturers who make Tour de France bikes also make cheaper versions.

To give a proper answer, if I had unlimited funds, I'd probably get a custom Trek Domane 6 series.
  • Maybe I should be asking what everyone's ultimate bike is. If this question hasn't already been asked a thousand times...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Storck.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Of course if I did have unlimted funds I wouldn't just buy one bike. I'd have a Pro level road bike but also a top of the range mountain bike, and perhaps a cyclocross bike just for the craic!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Maybe I should be asking what everyone's ultimate bike is. If this question hasn't already been asked a thousand times...

I never know what these threads are meant to bring? May as well ask what is everyone's favourite colour. There is only so much variety in modern bikes.
  • may i direct you here and here:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12878385

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12915580

locking it down luke, locking it down.