50 miler completed

lukestclair
lukestclair Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Well.

Completed my first 50 mile bike ride today.

Went to Rutland Water from our home village, tough ride, lots of ups and down near Hallaton and Uppingham. Got to Rutland Water in 2 hours, fairly happy with that. Had a distressing experience on the way, a lot of motorbikes were going far to fast, one of them mounted a grass verge and crashed into a lovely Alsatian. Dog is really badly injured, motorbike driver, ripped his number plate off before the dog owner could take a note and they all sped off. There were about 6 of them all together. This was just outside Tur Langton :(

Had a cup of tea and nice piece of cake at Rutland Water and then turned round top come home, similar time on the way home.

However what I did find was it messed me up for the rest of the day, very tired and still am.

What are peoples normal fuelling routine for a 50 mile bike ride?

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I did my first 50 miles today, took 2 1 litre bottles of drink, then 2 bigish boxes of raisans and 2 go ahead fruit bars, mainly because they are hogh in carbs and low in fat.

shame about the alsatian, I used to ride motorbikes, and its the few like that, that give the rest a bad name!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    You should have eaten the alsatian - they taste a lot like McNuggets apparently.

Well done on the 50.

For my first 50, as I'm sure most do, I played it safe and took a few bars and 2 bottles of water and a can of coke and stopped regularly to eat.

You're body gets used to the effort though, now I can do it on just one 500ml bottle of juice - depneds on the weather and the route though.

If you feel you need to take food and drink, then do so, and make a mental not when and how often you eat'drink, every ones different and it i amazing how rapidly the body adapts. Sounds an eventful ride though. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Stopped to eat? I carried on riding and ate lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    congrats on the ride,50 is a big milestone.I found the first cpl of fifties I done I was tuckered,but have done a few now and I think my body is used to it as don,t need to lie down any more.
    As a motorcyclist that biker needs his borrox cutting off.Hope the dogs survives.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Congrats, as above poster says, 50 is a bog milestone. I did a flat road 50 for the first time a couplke of weeks back, and took 750ml of water, 750ml of lucozade sport, an emergency SIS gel, a marathon (oops, snickers) bar and a piece of flapjack. The route took about 3 hrs and we stopped for 5 mins every 45 mins for a snack and a drink. It was ok as i got to sit down all the way. We did an average of about 17.5mph which I was pretty pleased with.
    Awfuo to hear about the bikers and the dog, not a nice experience on any outing.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Did my first 100km (62 miles) today, a sportive in Langholm. Felt fine until I got to the rest stop at 35miles and had 15 minutes rest, but after that I just felt really really tired, and the remaining miles was a struggle to say the least!
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Congratulations. I myself completed my first 50 miler 2 weeks ago.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Did my first 100km (62 miles) today, a sportive in Langholm. Felt fine until I got to the rest stop at 35miles and had 15 minutes rest, but after that I just felt really really tired, and the remaining miles was a struggle to say the least!
    That's the problem with stopping. By all means stop, fill bottles, stroll around gently etc for 5-10 minutes: but if you stop for too long your body goes into a sort of recovery mode and starts repairing the tired muscles etc. Waking them up again is hard work.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    That's the problem with stopping. By all means stop, fill bottles, stroll around gently etc for 5-10 minutes: but if you stop for too long your body goes into a sort of recovery mode and starts repairing the tired muscles etc. Waking them up again is hard work.

Right, good advice! I'd missed the first rest stop where I'd planned to stop for 10 minutes, but then wanted to treat the second as a kind of lunch stop, so stopped for about 15-20 minutes. I'd only ridden a max 37 miles before and that was stopping 3-4 minutes max at a time.