Selling bike...break or whole?

dazz25
dazz25 Posts: 48
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Hi all,

I've ordered a new bike which should be here next week so i'll be selling my 2011 Rockhopper soon after.

Now my main question is would I be best selling the bike whole or breaking an selling the parts individually? I have upgraded a lot the parts on the bike i.e. Reba 100mm forks, Shimano SLX M666 brakes, Answer Pro taper bars and Raceface stem.

The bikes in really good condition and has been well looked after so it would make a good bike for somebody.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Split is usually best with a spec like that.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Break.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Break it, as mentioned above, you'll get more if the parts spec is good. Certainly worked that way with stuff I've sold.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Split it. Definitely.
  • dazz25
    Cheers guys, i'll get it split down and sold separately.

So whats the best way of packing the bulkier things for posting i.e. forks, frame and wheels?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Bubble wrap
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I wrapped the frame in an old blanket and bubble wrap.
  • dazz25
    Will they take them at the post office just wrapped in bubble wrap? If so, that great. I'll get it stripped down when my new bike arrives and get a for sale thread started.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bubble wrap, 2 distinct layers, extra over the 'end bits' bits like BB shell, dropouts, etc, will cost you £12.92 48hour tracked parcel force for forks and frame, maybe £11.91 if you get under 2Kg PARCELLED, couriers through parcel2go will cost a bit less, but chances of damage seem higher....

Most the rest will fit in a padded envelope as small parcel and cost you £2.60 second class, more if it becomes a medium parcel on size then it's £5.20.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    couriers through parcel2go will cost a bit less, but chances of damage seem higher....

I used Parcel Monkey to send a shock absorber to Germany, via Parcelforce. The only involvement Parcel Monkey had was the booking - package was collected by a Parelforce van next morning and delivered via their network exactly as if I'd booked it through Parcelforce, but for half the price. It was delivered to the recipient undamaged within 48 hours.